Skip to content
Shoulder pain and weakness
cooker6920 posted:
I'm a male, 52, just had an Xray of the right shoulder after developing pain, numbness and weakness in my right arm going on about 1.5 years. Arthritis was diagnosed. PT was prescribed, but can't afford the office visits 3/week. I believe the arthritis, but think there's something else going on in there. If I sleep on the right side, my arm goes numb and gets weak after waking, my hand shakes and itches like crazy sometimes. I think I have a nerve issue, but I'm unsure of what to do next. Even sleeping on my left leads to numbness on the right arm. I go to a chiro. once a month for back issues. She thought maybe thoracic outlet syndrome, but the ortho. thought otherwise. Is an MRI or other tests warranted or should I just try the PT? Thanks.

semed responded:
I'd try the PT to strengthen arm. Check first with a hospital run PT forum, and check to see if you can get free help. My hospital did it for me. I do know it is based on income. If you can get it free and you have insurance they will be charging insurance, but you copays would be null and void. It might help. Good luck.

_swank_ responded:
First you should save your money and skip the chiropractor. Then you should see an ortho doctor that specializes in spines. I'm not a doctor but I would doubt the numbness is caused by arthritis. It's more likely there's a pinched nerve in your neck. You will probably need an MRI and maybe an EMG to test nerve function. Do not let a chiropractor anywhere near your neck.

pinkpants78 responded:
I suggest that you have to invest for a medical check up.. Nobody can really tell what you kind of disorder you have right now until you have been diagnosed through several lab tests.. Goodluck..

stellagonzalez responded:
My father has also faced the same problem but from 6 months he is feeling good and all this happens because of exercise. Apart from your medicine do regular exercises suggested by your physiotherapist.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.