Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Leg discrepancy after hip surgery
picndaisies posted:
Hello,

Yikes!!! It seems the last post and reply was from several years ago!!! I'm hoping that my question and concern is seen and replied to.

I'm six weeks out from a THP. I had noticed immediately that my operated him is about an inch longer than my non. Since then my leg is still longer and now is causing me severe lower back pain. I also have severe thigh pain as well. It feels as if I got kicked in the thigh by a horse. (had that done to me twice) the pain is that severe.

My PT says it will return to normal but from what I'm reading, I see nothing but bad news.

I see my surgeon in two weeks and when I saw him he said I will feel more of a discrepancy because I'm so thin. Has this ever happened to anyone before??? Or am I up for another surgery to make my legs even again? I'm very depressed because I'm an extremely active person and the reason why I had this done because I developed severe arthritis from an injury back in my mid twenties and this affected my way of life.
Btw, my hip feels great!

mariajohnson responded:
How the hip replacement implants are placed, and the size of the implants, will determine the length of the leg after surgery. The treatment for small leg length discrepancy is with a lift in the shoe of the shorter leg.

picndaisies replied to mariajohnson's response:
I've heard so many different theories on this. I heard that my leg will eventually even itself out? So there is a pretty good chance that this won't happen??? Can this be corrected surgically? I don't want to go around the rest of my life with one leg longer than the other!!!!

adelestephensonguy responded:
The insertion of a heel lift or other shoe insert that evens out leg lengths is usually the solution for your problem. But I suggest that you ask for another option from your doctor. For your lower back pain, there are effective medications out there that might help you get relief. You might get more information here http://www.top-pick-rx.com/celebrex-generic-what-is-this-drug-for.html

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.