Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bilateral TKR 5 montths postop
alwysbisy posted:
I am 43 yr old female and I am 5 months postop from bilateral TKR. Just wondering if anyone who had this done is still in excessive pain? The pain in my left knee is still not tolerable and I have lost 20 deg ROM. The pain is in the inside of knee and shoots into my thigh still have constant feeling of the scar tissue pulling. My right knee is almost pain free great ROM but I developed bursitis on the knee cap. I had such high hopes for this to work I understand I have many more months to recover but does this pain go away? I am told it's from scar tissue, I still do not walk right I wobble drag my leg to avoid walking in pain. I also had 2 manipulation's after surger to try to break up the scar tissue and get better ROM. any input would be appreciated Thanks,
Tammy

firefiter responded:
It was very nice to read your story I'm 55 years old and I'm retired firefighter paramedic. Right now I need bilateral knee replacements at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles. I was wondering if you can give me a little bit more insight on how your surgery went what kind of therapy you had to go through and how long the therapy was. And what you're able to do now after you had need replacements. And one other thing how much pain did you endure after the surgery. I have no Cartlidge left and I am bone on bone I've gone through several Synvisc injections and Cortisone injections. Can't live with the pain anymore it's now time. Plus I've had five knees surgeries in my right knee and six knee surgeries in my left knee Thank you

pgt1956 responded:
alwysbisy & firefiter:

alwysbisy, oh my gosh! It's only been 5 months since a bilateral TKR and you've already had TWO(2) manipulations along with your other problems!?! Bless your heart! I would FOR SURE keep up with EVERYTHING that is/has been going on and present ALL of this to all physical therapists & doctors. I didn't have bilateral TKR, but I had my right knee replaced in August of 2012, and my left knee in May of 2013. I am learning that I ALWAYS need to exercise my knees -which I do in my rehab swimming pool 3-5 times/week- or my knees get SO stiff that I can hardly move/walk. BUT, I NEVER had to go thru all that you have. Did you use the CPM machine on both knees 6 hrs. daily for 6 weeks post surgery? I learned to HATE that machine (twice!), but I knew that there would be definite scar tissue build up if I didn't. I don't think that I actually helped you with your post, but I'll still wish you the best of luck with your progress.

firefiter,

I also had "bone-on-bone" on both knees. I went thru the cortisone shots; supartz (similar to synvisc) injections; 1 scope on one knee & 2 scopes on the other . . .and still pain. I got to the point that I couldn't sit, stand, walk, move etc. without awful pain. My orthopedic surgeon told me from the very beginning that I would KNOW when it was time for replacements. In fact, I had to go at least a decade beyond that because of teaching (I'm retired now), and I was the sole caretaker for both of my parents. My Mother passed away in Nov. of 2005, and my Dad in June of 2009. I finally told my self not long after. . . it's (way past) time. In fact, in Nov. after the 1st surgery, I went ahead and set up my 2nd, just so I wouldn't "chicken out" and start putting it off again. My doctor didn't even talk bilateral surgery with me. I can tell you something FOR SURE re: knee replacement. You have to have good family/friends there for you if you plan on doing your rehab at home. I was fortunate in that area. You have to be patient. Recovery will come, but it will take time. As far as pain goes, I suspect different people have different tolerance levels. Also, your doctor will work with you in that area, too. If you have any other questions, just let me know & I will try to respond to the best of my ability. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.