Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can you recognize the warning signs of joint deterioration?
instituteforbetterbonehealth posted:
It's predicted that half of all Americans will develop joint problems after the age of 50, which presents a huge problem for Baby Boomers who want to stay active and independent, but probably haven't taken the necessary steps.

It's critical to know how to recognize the warning signs of joint deterioration. Some you will notice — irritated joints, decreased flexibility and aching when moving after a period of time at rest.

You're much less likely to notice the health of your joint surfaces, though — the part that covers the end of each bone and is required for joint function. The joint surface has to be able to glide freely in order to be comfortable and mobile. The joint lining provides some lubrication to facilitate joint movement, but with age it becomes thin, dry and irritated. You won't notice as it's getting thinner and thinner, until it is completely worn through and you can feel the bone rubbing against bone.

Collagen loss is another thing you have to be more aware of. The body loses collagen as we get older, and it needs to be replenished from supplements to support both bones and joints, because it is not found in enough of the foods we eat. You can see collagen depletion in your skin, but you have to actively promote collagen production in your bones and joints.

Two other collagen boosting ingredients that are important to joint health are UC-II and ASU. UC-II is a patented type of collagen that has been shown to be more effective than Glucosamine and Chondroitin. UC-II also leads to increased activity levels for knee joint sufferers. ASU stands for avocado/soybean unsaponifiables, obtained from avocados and soybeans and used to help support joint health. Studies show ASU helps increase production of collagen in joint surfaces, while decreasing chemicals that can cause inflammation.

In addition to your nutrition, you can do movement exercises that help joint function. Loosing weight will also decrease the stresses placed on joints. Just 5 pounds of weight lost can take as much as 15 pounds of pressure off your joints.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.