Skip to content
surgery on thumb joint replacement
fitzpatrick1 posted:
I had surgery on Oct. 24, 2013. Five months later, I am worse than before the surgery. At least before, I could get a cortisone shot that would last for a few months. Now I have pain 24/7. Not only is the thumb joint sore,( I thunk that is scar tissue) but also the two fingers closet to the thumb. It is like an open nerve. I'm being told that the surgery flared up the arthritis in the rest of my hand. Please, if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do, please forward the info. I can not turn on a light, write, turn a key, brush my teeth, or lift anything without constant pain, etc, etc. I can't live on pain pills, and the Aleve, or naproxen is killing my stomach. Help. Thank you

atti_editor responded:
Hi fitzpatrick1,

I am so sorry that your hands are in constant pain. This slideshow has some good exercises for your hands and fingers to help with range of motion. If your hands and fingers are too stiff and painful to start these exercises, one of the tips suggests covering them in a heating pad or soaking them in warm water for 5-10 minutes before starting, or rubbing them in oil, putting on a pair of rubber gloves and then soaking them in the warm water for a deeper warmth. This will help increase blood, oxygen and nutrients to the site and may lessen the stiffness so that you can begin the exercises.

This article also has some treatment options for RA in the hands and fingers that you might consider. It includes lifestyle changes you might make to help with everyday activities, medications your doctor might prescribe, and some more tips on using ice and heat to alleviate pain.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.