Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Operations in old age
candida14 posted:
I have reached the stage now when the only opTion I have left is hip and knee replacement and frankly I am terrified as I am on warfarin for atrial fibrillation have a weak chest and I am 81 yrs can anyone advise me

mariajohnson responded:
There is no age limit to have a knee replacement surgery but after the surgery you will have to take proper care of yourself. As in this age you would take time to recover.

An_255155 responded:
Hi candida14,

Have you spoken with your doctor about your concerns? He/she is best able to sit and talk with you about the risks vs. the long-term benefits for you, taking into account your medical history and overall health. Maria is right that there really isn't an age limit as it differs from person to person and situation to situation. These pieces have some information that can help you decide if knee replacement and/or hip replacement is right for you, and will give you some talking points for your meeting with your doctor. Please let us know what you decide!

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.