Skip to content
CARPOMETACARPAL JOINT OF THE THUMB ARTHROPLASTY
koolkellygirl posted:
I had the surgery on my dominant hand first because I just need to be able to use it. Pre surgery I was living on cortisone shots and paraffin baths. I had the surgery 17 days ago. I haven't had much pain at all and occasionally take ibuprofen, maybe 400mg once to twice a day. I had the first cast/dressing off at 2 weeks post-op, as well as all of the stitches taken out. I am now casted for a month and am due to start PT after the cast comes off at 6 weeks post-op. I can't believe that some people started PT within a couple of weeks when the joint hasn't even had time to heal properly...

My real only complaint is that the doc released me to go back to work 2 and a half weeks post op and I can't do my job yet and can't drive for another month. Oh, and I have thumb numbness on the topside of my thumb...it's irritating to say the least.

I tolerate pain well and if this hand heals well, I will definitely have the surgery on my non dominant hand probably next year or the end of this year (Novemberish).

atti_editor responded:
Hi koolkellygirl,

Glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you are recovering wonderfully! Thank you for sharing your story with us. I hope that everything stays according to plan and that you will be able to have the surgery on your other hand as well!

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.