Skip to content
Knee doc too conservative?
mrsmombie posted:
I am 43, a fitness instructor and personal trainer,. A year ago, I started having knee problems:(. Late last fall, I had my right knee scoped, and after the procedure, the doc told me I had arthritis in the knee ( probably the left as well). The knee hurts more now than before the scope. Nothing really has helped so far, and am going to get some hyaloronic (sp?) injections, soon. My question is this...osteoarthritis is a progressive condition, wouldn't it be good to have the replacement now, while I am strong and able to re-hab it easily, rather than wait 5+ years?
Anon_22455 responded:
First, joint replacement is for the last stage of OA and for when all other conservative treatment fail. Joint replacements do not last forever (10-15 years). Also, it is difficult to be active after joint replacement as the implants is weaker than your natural joint. 43 is way too young to have joint replacement. Best you can do, is pain management. No, your doctor is not too conservative, injections may or may not help you. I am 34 with OA in both my right ankle and right knee. I am very active and will not get joint replacements until I really really need it. In the meantime, all I can do is to manage my pain the best I can. I understand your pain and frustration, but unfortunately joint replacement will not red you of your pain. Give a chance to the injections..
atti_editor responded:
Hi mrsmombie,

The previous poster gave you some great information and personal experience. We do have an article on injectable medications for knee OA that you may find helpful (the bottom of the article discusses hyaluronic acid injections in more detail). You might also try these exercises for knee OA to improve your range of motion.

Best wishes,

Helpful Tips

I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.