Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Knee doc too conservative?
mrsmombie posted:
I am 43, a fitness instructor and personal trainer,. A year ago, I started having knee problems:(. Late last fall, I had my right knee scoped, and after the procedure, the doc told me I had arthritis in the knee ( probably the left as well). The knee hurts more now than before the scope. Nothing really has helped so far, and am going to get some hyaloronic (sp?) injections, soon. My question is this...osteoarthritis is a progressive condition, wouldn't it be good to have the replacement now, while I am strong and able to re-hab it easily, rather than wait 5+ years?
Anon_22455 responded:
First, joint replacement is for the last stage of OA and for when all other conservative treatment fail. Joint replacements do not last forever (10-15 years). Also, it is difficult to be active after joint replacement as the implants is weaker than your natural joint. 43 is way too young to have joint replacement. Best you can do, is pain management. No, your doctor is not too conservative, injections may or may not help you. I am 34 with OA in both my right ankle and right knee. I am very active and will not get joint replacements until I really really need it. In the meantime, all I can do is to manage my pain the best I can. I understand your pain and frustration, but unfortunately joint replacement will not red you of your pain. Give a chance to the injections..
atti_editor responded:
Hi mrsmombie,

The previous poster gave you some great information and personal experience. We do have an article on injectable medications for knee OA that you may find helpful (the bottom of the article discusses hyaluronic acid injections in more detail). You might also try these exercises for knee OA to improve your range of motion.

Best wishes,

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.