Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain after basal joint arthroplasty
healthy_1 posted:
4 days post surgery, right dominate hand. No meds after 3 days. Encouraged. I wiggle my fingers often and do not notice swelling. Keeping hand elevated. Goal is to get back to playing pickle ball in August.

atti_editor responded:
Hi healthy_1,

Glad to hear that you are doing well after surgery! I hope that you are continue to improve and are able to get back to pickle ball soon!

Best wishes,
Atti

healthy_1 responded:
2 weeks post surgery, replaced splint with a purple cast. Hand looked so deformed! But I am very encouraged, no swelling and incision is looking great. Fingers are now free to stretch/exercise and type. Will get splint and start therapy 5-8. Husband taking great care of me. I may be on the courts by mid-June! and I've got lots of pens to turn. My lathe is gathering dust.

atti_editor replied to healthy_1's response:
Thanks for keeping us updated! This is great news

healthy_1 replied to atti_editor's response:
After two weeks in a splint, two casts (2ish wks each), I got my cast off. Was told I should replace cast after two weeks and I thought I wouldn't need to but cast got real loose. The 2nd cast wasn't comfortable after 5 days and if I hadn't had an appt. to get it removed I would have found a way to get it off myself. I had first appointment with Occupational Therapist on May 8 just short of 6 weeks from surgery. Hand looks a bit deformed but not really uncommon after 6 wks bound up. Incisions look great! Met random people who had or knew someone who had same surgery with very encouraging results. I have extremely limited movement bending hand downward and also to the left (picture motion like a flat window shield wiper). Still taking Naproxem. OT and MD told me I would need 10-12 weeks before I can play pickle ball. So instead of my optimistic mid-June, looks like August Disappointed but understandable. I just keep thinking this is a temporary inconvenience. RE: pain...yeah but very tolerable. It's a commitment to do exercises 5x/day but very doable as it really only takes 15-20 minutes. I've read of others with lots of pain, regret, etc., I hope I'm in the majority of success stories and all goes as planned. I hope to update in a couple of weeks.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.