Skip to content
Adaptation Solution Controversy
shortwind posted:
I have osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease of my lower back. I also have severe chronic persistent asthma and because of my compromised lung function cannot walker faster than a strolling pace. I have also had a right hip replacement and revision due to avascular necrosis from years of prednisone use for my lungs, one surgery in May 2013 and the second in Jan. 2014. Oh, and osteoporosis, as well, likely sped up by the prednisone. Because of the lower back issues, I cannot stand for more than a few moments and also stiffen up with extended walking (which I have to do slowly to keep from getting short of breath). I am not on any prescription pain killers and use avoidance (of too much standing and walking) and rest to help relieve the pain when I do have to walk and stand. A recent caudal steriod shot was useless. Since none of this stuff is going away (I am 62), I finally thought that a seated rolling walker might be helpful for situations that involve lots of walking and standing...that way I could get around and stop and sit in the walker when the pain/stiffness gets too intense. I have used it several times so far, and seems to be a good idea. However, I have a male partner I live with who thinks that all I need to do is "walk more" ... WITHOUT A CANE OR WALKER...and that will somehow make everything better. He will not even let me take the walker in his car. On a trip we took recently (I have been reluctant to travel because of the physical challenges involved) he took my cane (this was before I got the walker) from me at one point during a long walk when I was in substantial pain...and he walked off with it...because he felt I didn't need it or was becoming "dependent" on it. I am at the point where I feel his behavior is callous and abusive and am thinking of leaving him....a large stressful challenge involving moving, emotional fallout, economic issues, etc. I also suspect some of his issues stem from his fear of being seen with an "old lady" (I actually look decent for my age) and, perhaps, his own issues with mortality. I am fine with using a walker, when called for, and a cane. For short distances, like around the house, I don't need a cane or walker...of course, I can sit and rest easily at home. Is there anything I can do to educate him that a walker will actually get me more active and that walking, by itself, will NOT "cure" me. And yes, I know exercise is important and I do light weights, strength exercises and a mini-peddler at home. I was a power walker before my lungs went downhill. If there is a doctor or medical professional on this board who can give me some scientific ammunition I can use with him to support that using a walker is one tool I can use to help myself, it would be appreciated. I want to avoid opiate painkillers, if at all possible. He will not believe me if information comes from me...so I need an expert on my side. FYI, the osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease are all documented on an MRI...it's not in my head!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.