Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rooster Comb Injections
06deluxerider posted:
Has anyone ever had these for knee pain, and if so.....do they hurt? Dr. suggested I might do these to help relieve some knee pain....

Debbie

bobbiegirl1 responded:
Hi Debbie Do you mean the synvisc shots .I've had osteoarthritis for the last 6 years in both knees

_swank_ responded:
I've had Synvisc injections and they were worthless. The first shot hurt, the second one hurt more and the third one was the most painful injection I have ever had, and I've had a lot. If I had had that experience first I would never have gone back.

The shots seems to work maybe 50% of the time. If they work at all the relief will be temporary. A lot depends on the shape of your knee. If you're bone on bone already don't bother having them.

06deluxerider responded:
Bobbiegirl1...thanks for the reply...I guess I do mean synvisc shots...I have tendonitis and arthritis in my knee and the doctor suggested....

06deluxerider responded:
swank...thanks for the reply.....I am not one for shots so that is why i wondered how they were...thanks for the info...don't think I'll be getting these

Debbie

2blkbelts responded:
I'm on my second round of Synvisc injections. Lasted close to six months. Hope to get that much or more this time around. They can be uncomfortable. I have both knees done at the same visit. I have been very happy with the reduced night pain after receiving the shots . Right now, they do a series of three shots, spread out over three weeks. BUT, Synvisc has just announced they have a ONE time shot instead of the three! I am waiting for insurance to cover it, and that should be by my next six months. Good luck!

bobbiegirl1 responded:
I had the shots in me right knee .didn't help as for hurting when I got them no ,a piece of cake I know of people that said they hurt so bad ,guess it all depends on the doctor who gives them to you. when I asked my family Doc about the shots hurting he said it will not hurt him ,when I got mine it was from an orthopedic surgon.first they numb it with a spray before they give you the shot believe me it did not hurt, some it helps and others it dont It will hurt if it is not numb .If you are thinking of getting them find out if they numb it first .

mind_situation responded:
had the Hyalgan injections,a series of 5. did nothing for me. had them in my left knee which i wound up having total knee replacement on. as far a pain while injecting... felt nothing. however needles never bothered me. good luck in finding the right treatment and god bless.

taterbug1949 responded:
Debbie, I also had the Synvisc shots. They were a little uncomfortable but the numbing spray was helpful. As to them being beneficial...not at all. Of course my knees were bone on bone at the time.

Ann

dogmama45 responded:
I've been getting these injections for about 5 years now. Most of them have not hurt a lot, but once I had a problem with my left knee afterward for about half an hour. My left knee has so many holes in the ligaments that a doctor said that surgery wasn't even possible, so I think the synvisc got "stuck" in one of those pockets temporarily. Before I had the first ones, I couldn't even buy groceries without going out to the car and crying because my knees hurt so bad. It does take a couple of weeks after the last shot to start getting the full relief. I'm about due for a new round of them and looking forward to only one shot per knee!

06deluxerider responded:
Thanks everyone for your replies.....I guess I have a lot of thinking to do.....I'll let you know if I get them and if they worked....thanks again

Debbie

DoreenDoyle responded:
Had my first shot in the right knee on July 17 - my 2nd is this afternoon. The actual injections hurt like heck even with the numbing agent applied - but not so much that I wouldn't do it again. I didn't really know what to expect as I had heard many different opinions, but I wasn't expecting much. I must be lucky because while nothing happened that day, the next morning I was actually walking with less pain. By the 23rd the pain was back in force, but then again I was told nothing would really change for several weeks after the final shot, so I consider myself blessed that I had a week of almost no pain for the first time in 10 years. If this continues to work for the right knee, I will jump at the chance to have the left knee done next. Best of luck to you.

Doreen

3691769 responded:
My daughter, 47, has been suffering with shoulder pain for years and thought about this injection. So far I only read about knees, any information?

_swank_ responded:
It has not been approved for any other joint except knees. Even then it only works about half the time. Your daughter should go see an orthopedic surgeon who can order an MRI and find out what's wrong with her shoulder.

OldPhart11 responded:
Debbie,
Compared to the hurt now, the injections won't be a bother.
They will feel Much Better afterwards. It will just be a little uncomfortable for an hour or so, not hurt.
Both of my knees are bad and needed injections. I had one shot of Rooster Comb in my left knee, but they didn't have any more to put in my right knee so only injected it with Cortizone.
Two weeks later I got a 20 mg shot of Hyalgan in my right knee, and it didn't do any good, in fact possibly made it hurt more.
My left knee has not hurt a bit since and it is worse than my right. I have a call in for my doctor to see what he gave me, and as soon as I hear what it is, I'll report it.
I will never get anything else, certainly not Hyalgan.
I hope to hear from my first doctor soon, & will report what he used.
Hope this helps.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.