Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knuckle pain at 36--Arthritis??
Lisaag72 posted:
The knuckle at the base of my left middle finger has been having a dull ache for a few weeks. I first noticed it while away on vacation, and though I had slept funny on my hand or something. But I realized a few days later after being home, that it still hurt, and after keeping an eye on it, I realize it's been hurting every day like that. I am a 'righty' so don't use my left hand that much, and am not an athlete and did not do anything to it on vacation. I do Bikram yoga regularly for years, which helps blood flow around the body, improving the circulatory system and cleans out the joints, keeping the body healthy. I notice the pain gets aggravated when I am washing dishes, holding with the left and washing with the right, or when I'm steering while driving, and typing on a computer keyboard, of course. The 'circle" around the knuckle joint is a tiny bit swollen (but you have to look closely to compare it to my right hand, which looks normal) and tender. The rest of my left hand and all of my right feel and function normally. It's very isolated to the knuckle of the left middle finger. My left hand feels most comfortable lately when I just let it go limp. I'll be 37 in a couple of weeks but have heard of early-onset arthritis. Yet, I do not know of any instances of onset of arthritis in my family history; just grandparents in their 80's and 90's, which is normal for them, but they don't even mention dealing with it that much. I'm finally deciding to go to the doctor tomorrow, but how do they test for arthritis--just an X-ray? What does this discomfort sound like to ...anybody here? How do they diagnose for arthritis or other related joint issues? What could this be? Thanks!

sewhit responded:
Hi, Doctors test for arthritis with xrays, physical examinations, and blood work. It is hard to say what it could be, especially since it is only one area that is hurting you. I think your best bet is to stick to your doctor appt. Good luck!

CBlueSky responded:
I have the exact same condition. Left hand middle finger knuckle ache. What's with that? I'm 45, no other problems or issues with my health. It started about 4 months ago with no change. It is just there. Slight achy pain. Please let me know what you found out.

dongazpacho responded:
I have exactly the same knuckle involved, which has severe intermittent pain and slight swelling of skin on top. This pain started 3 weeks ago and is getting worse. I am 70 years old.

The pain is usually dull but for no reason at all it flares up into, what feels like being stabbed with an Ice Pick for a few minutes and then goes completely away on its own.

I too had an xray and will post the results when I get them. Looking forward to updates on this post.

Don G.

dongazpacho replied to CBlueSky's response:
Me too. Exactly the same, however I am 70 years old and it just started 3 weeks ago. My pain is dull with intermittent bursts of pain that feel like getting stabbed with an Ice Pick that last for a few minutes and then go away. Slight swelling on top skin no color change.

I had an xray and will post results. Have there been any updates to this post since they were posted 2 years ago?

Don G.

CECI_STEPHANIE responded:
I'm 43 years old. I have had that problem for a little over a year now. I have been using a prescription cream called Valtaren (or it sounds like that name), and it helps ease the pain some what. I am planning to go and get my hands checked because I just cannot stand the pain and inflamation anymore. It is unbearable!

What does help I notice though is a HOT Thermo Pak.

If any of you have any ideas of how to ease the pain please email or leave a reply. I could sure use the help.

Thanks!
Ceci-Stephanie

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.