Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help - my knees hurt all the time
J2158 posted:
Over the last several I have had pain in my knees, neck, and fingers. However, at night when I lay down the pain in my knees seem to get worse. Not only is there pain but my knees get hot (like they have a fever). I've tried over the counter medicine but it doesn't seem to relieve the pain or the warmth. I can tolerate the pain, warmth, and stiffness during the day but I can't seem to sleep with the pain at night. Note.. I had a blood test for arthritis and it came back negative. However, my sister was born with arthristis and my mother had arthristis most of her adult life (she's no longer living). My sister died just recently at 55 and the death is related to arthristis. I remember my mom saying that the arthristis tests she took came back negative and the doctors wouldn't treat her. It was only when she went to the emergency room with her knees swollen twice the normal size and on fire that the would treat her for arthritis. This occurred every time her company changed insurance and she had new doctor. I'm worried if I go to the doctor they will think I'm crazy because the test come back negative. Anyone have advice?

aberlaine9 responded:
I could be wrong, but I think the blood test is to determine if you have rheumatoid arthritis. If you have osteoarthritis, your blood test would come back negative, but you'd still have arthritis. I have arthritis in my knees and the way it was diagnosed was by the doctor taking x-rays. The x-rays show the deterioration in the joint.

smasher1 responded:
Pls ask your doctor for a referral to a rheumatologist--they treat any and all kinds of arthritis. A negative blood test for arthritis doesnt mean you don't have it--there are many types of arthritis, including sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis--simply means you have all the signs/symptoms, but doesnt show up on blood work. And, there is more than just 1 blood test when it comes to diagnosing arthritis. Dont give up--you are not crazy!! Please talk to your doctoe and get some help, so that you can start feeling better!! Keep us posted on your progress!!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

pain relief with cod liver oil and orange juice
I have heard from 2 ladies that taking cod liver oil 1 Tab in orange juice over a long period of time releaved their osteoarthritis pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.