Skip to content
Pain after subtular ankle fusion
esays posted:
Had surgery end of 11-2006. I have been back on my feet without aid for 3 months. Increasing pain in foot and heel. Deters me from normal life. Unbareable at times. Doc just issued prescription for Diclofenac (Generic for Voltaren). Does anyone take this????
FirstPrevious12NextLast

angela702 responded:
I had both my ankles fused in 1996, I never had pain walking until recently this past year and a half. Nothing seems to help me.. I take Lortabs sometimes, and Vicodin sometimes... just Plain Tylenol sometimes... mostly nothing cuz the pain meds dont even help anyways... What is Voltaren? A pain med? or what? Does it help you?

Angela

littlebandit3 responded:
I have been using Diclofenac for about 2 years now and find that it works pretty good for me most times. I take 75mg 2x daily. Once in the a.m. and the second at bedtime. However, this is not my only medication, I use it in combination with other types of medications. You may find, if your pain turns out to be (or already is) chronic, that you need to add other types of meds, as well.

I have had to stop taking it a few times for surgery and did notice the difference without it, so I guess it does make a difference . I have never had any problems, so far, with this med and my stomach....yet.... I hope this med helps you too.

For the previous poster...Diclofenac (Voltaren) is an anti-inflammitory medication.

Continue to work closely with your doctor until you get your pain under control and you are back on the path to doing the things you enjoy .

esays responded:
Thank you for your imput. Can't get an appointment until the end of the month. Very sought out doctor. I will try and hang in there.

Peery1975 responded:
hello! My mom told me about this web site and I was looking at your story and I had a few questions. My husband has been having ankle problems for a few years. He broke his ankle about 20 years ago so we thought his screws were bothering him. Come to find out he had a spur at the base of his leg right in front of his ankle. Well the doctor went in to grind the spur off and found out that there was no cartilage in his ankle so the doctor didn't even take off the spur to give him more surface area to step on. Well since that non affective surgery he has been in more pain then before. It doesn't hurt as much when he is walking then it does when he is laying down. So comes my question... Would you suggest the ankle fusion or an ankle replacement? After reading the stories on this site they look like they have had some pain after the fusion. Thank you for you help. peery1975

unknown responded:
I took Diclofenac for several years and it really helped me. However I had to come off of it because my GI doctors is sure this is what caused my lymphocytic colitis. I think it was all the antibiotics that I had to have in 2004, 2005, and 2006. I also had gastritis. My liver function is up some too. I now take Nabumetone (generic for Rrlafen) it is also helping but according to the side effects listed it can also cause digestive and colon problems. Without some type of anti-inflammatory med I get to where I can hardly get up much less be able to walk.

Ann

agriguy12 responded:
Greeting, Looks like we are on the same boat. I had a on the job accident in 1983. After several operation to reconstruct and finally fusion of both anckles. The fusion took twice to get to take on both anckles. Every since my injury both anckles have hurt. I have arthritis and it has effected just about all my lower body. I am now 57 and I have to go to a pain management clinic for my class 2 meds and I use a TENS Unit quite often. I have been on SSD for just about all the time. It really does help too. At first I felt quilty about accepting money, but after having two mental break downs trying to accept my condition as a life long problem. I came to realize that no matter I could not work anymore and afford my medical bills. So I am glad I live in a country where I am able to get monitary relief. So, If there are anyone that wishes to contact me please do so. Thank you

trying2findjoy responded:
I had my ankle fused 10-2008 and just started weight bearing a few months ago. Still not walking.

I can use crutches to get from car to Dr office. etc... otherwise confined to wheelchair.

Pain is unbearable at times. I feel like I am surviving (barely) not living. Does it get better?

achaffee responded:
Hello. I had my subtalar joint fused July 28th 09. I am having so much pain walking and standing, I am basically having to give up my job as a dietary aid at a nursing home. My doc keeps telling me I will be fine after wearing orthodics. My foot is over pronating (rolling inward) so bad, I dont know how the fusion helped. I am in more pain that before surgery, now I can barely walk around the house. I have been in Physical Therapy for 7 weeks and they just laugh it off...this isnt funny......Being a single mother to a 3 year old, I am VERY frusterated. I have seen a couple other doctors and the said they can fuse another joint to decrease pain. Just what I want to be in crutches for another 2 months. If I knew it would have been this bad after surgery, I would have NEVER agreed to it. This has taught me to ALWAYS research anything and know more about it before going through with it. Anyone dealing with the same thing can find me on yahoo chat. adc2785, would love to have some support thru this!!!!

ibewman responded:
Hello I have had 2 ankle fusion surgeries. The first was a nonunion and after the second I still have heal pain, severe pain like someone is stabbing me in the foot. My doctor says it should not hurt there! Than where the heck should it hurt, I hate when my doctor does that. How is your pain can you describe it? Thanks.

redblur responded:
It's not easy to find a community to discuss post-ankle fusion issues. My fusion was done almost a year ago (1/20/09) and while I could walk fine for a few months in the summer and fall, now I am in extreme pain in the heel and elsewhere in the foot. I am trying to find the cause of the pain, rather than just take meds or use a brace, however my doctor doesn't seem that interested.

Is that what other have found?

avntal responded:
Had fusion in May 2009 - since fully wt bearing have developed pain in heel and arch. Currently can only tolerate ( for limited period) one pair of shoes that are totally flat. Other shoes while considered to be flat have a slight arch and cause intolerable pain. Have been told it may be caused by metalwork or may be due to nerve regeneration. Either way need to manage the pain as nail needs to remain in situ. I am due to be fitted with inserts from orthotics - if that doesn't work will have to have special shoes. Take diclofenac and cocodamol ( occasional tramadol) but need to manage pain better. The diclofenac is ok and is the strongest anti-inflamatory I can tolerate, I only take low dose Cocodamol but anything more than paracetamol seems to make me drowsy .So although tramadol is more effective I avoid it if possible because it makes me drowsy. I lost my job when I was unable to work -need to find a new one ( easier said than done) Anyone out there with any advice on returning to work?

mariegp01 replied to redblur's response:
I feel your pain....LITERALLY!! I broke my ankle in 4 places in February of 2008. After the ortho surgeon fixed 3 of the bones with plates and screws, he dismissed me to pain management after months of complaining. I went to a second ortho who found the broken bone left in my foot. Not only was the bone broken, but the joint was destroyed and it was rubbing bone on bone. Had anke fused February 2009. Over a year later, the pain is now all around instead of just in the front. I am on Neurontin, 300mg 3X daily, Lortab 10mg 3X daily, and usually motrin 800 mg 3X daily. This is all just so I am able to walk. Please tell me if there is something better out there. I am only 36 years old and feel my life is just about over.

BFTC80 replied to mariegp01's response:
Hi all,

Especially to mariegp01, so sorry to hear of your experience. I recently had a fusion (December 2009) after persistent ankle problems and the early onset of osteo-arthritis, and have just got my cast off a couple of days ago, to be met with swelling any time I put weight on it and also pain around most of the ankle. I'm 29!

I guess I want to know if these are normal symptoms and if I can expect walking to get easier over time (and the swelling to stop)? Also, how long after cast removal did people notice a return to something approaching normality? (i.e. less swelling, manageable pain)

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.