Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
trigger finger surgery
sarahnkids posted:
Hello all! I am new to this discussion group. I was wondering if anyone has had trigger finger surgery and what the healing process was? I was told the stitches would be in for 10-14 days. So if anyone has had his surgery I would appreciate any feedback i could get on this subject.........

jwest1980 replied to ladentista's response:
hello i was just reading up on here. i also had the trigger release surgery 9 months ago. i never had therapy im still having pain in that joint and im do real strainous work with a knife. i have a knot at the base of the finger which is my ring finger. it throbs and hurts to the touch.the finger be swollen every morning i awake. i went to the doctor that perforned the procedure he said my finger was doing fine and for the pain swelleing and the knot he wouldnt even give me a comment on it. so now im working constantly in pain and the knot is showing an y signs of going away. has anyone experience this problem other than myself.

sandyed replied to james12756's response:
wondering how you made out, just had the surgery done and much of the same problems.

amstutz123 replied to 123TONYA's response:
now that 8 months have passed does your fingerl feel better? Three weeks after my surgery my finger is stiff and sore.
MA

dphbear responded:
had surgery 10/09 went well until month ago..dr says scar tissue had built at surgery site...and will have to go back to surgery...

dphbear replied to amstutz123's response:
could move finger 2 days after surgery, now 6 months later, scar tissue has formed and palm of hand has big knot and stings, will have to have surgery to remove it...hope this does the trick..

dphbear replied to theresan57's response:
it will get better, just be patient

pettita responded:
Hi,
I have had surgery on my thumb. It was triggering all the time and causing a lot of discomfort. I was really scared to have it done as I am a professional musician and was afraid it would ruin my hands. Best thing I ever did. I was out of work for about 10 days. I am now triggering on the other hand on my middle finger and am considering surgery there. Has anyone had that surgery? Good luck.

miriam_palmer responded:
I had this done to both thumbs. It was hard to keep the incision closed, as one will spread the thumb out. I had this done many years ago and it was well worth it.

njblt replied to miriam_palmer's response:
I've had 3 trigger finger releases and about to have my 4th. I've had arthroplastic surgery on both thumbs. These surgeries have taken place over the last 5 years.
The relieve of the surgeries was very welcome. The trigger fingers were surgically cast for three days and a band-aid on the stitches after that for about a week. One finger needed some ot for a few weeks to complete the release, but the other 2 released immediately.
The arthroplastey on the thumbs was a longer recovery, but I could move the thumbs completely after the stitches were removed. After the hard cast was removed (6 wks) I had some ot.
The surgeries and recoveries are worth the time spent. Make sure that you have an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the hands for these surgeries.

Mominator8 responded:
I am new to the site, but have had at least 5 trigger finger surgeries. The joke at the ortho doctor's office is that I am a "frequent flyer". When I had my first surgery, the doctor told me about some people who develop trigger fingers in every digit! I didn't think that would apply to me, but here I am. I think that most of my trigger fingers are attributed to inflammation. I have had 3 stents and 6 bypasses in my heart, so I have proclaimed myself the queen of inflammation. I am lucky to have a meticulous hand surgeon.

The best advice I would give about recovery is to pay attention to what the physical therapist tells you to do, and then, do it!

pts49 replied to dphbear's response:
I had trigger finger last May. I have small lump by the surgery site. It is scar tissue. My Doctor told me to massage my hand. If it got worst then he would have to surgey. But thank Goodness it hasn,t gotten any bigger it still a small lump. I can thank God for that.

An_224102 replied to miriam_palmer's response:
I HAD TRIGGER FINGER SURGERY LAST MAY. I HAVE A SMALL LUMP BY THE SURGERY SITE . MY DR. SAID IT WAS SCAR TISSUE. IT HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BIGGER. IF IT DOSE THEN I WOULD NEED SURGERY. HE TOLD ME TO MASSAGE THE SCAR TISSUE.THANK GOODNESS IT HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BIGGER. I HAD BOTH HANDS NOW DONE BECAUSE I HAD CARPAL TUNNEL IN BOTH HANDS.

Rayne2Day responded:
Healing time differs for each person. I had the surgery on a Wednesday and drove myself to the doctor of Friday and started back to work the following Monday. Four weeks later, I had the same process on the other hand with different results. I didn't go back to work until the following week and I had to have physical therapy on that hand because the scar tissue adhered to muscles in my hand that caused it to "claw" up and PT took six weeks.

rossgarden replied to theresan57's response:
I've been told I need to keep thid nasty bandage on for 124 days. i'm glad to hear you re wrapped yours. i have tried to straighten my middle and ring finger and it is very painful. it's been 4 days since my surgery. i have a presentation next week and there is no way i am showing up with this stinky old thing! how long does it take to get over the pain? what have you found to help with the swelling in stifffness or does it go away?

rossgarden replied to 123TONYA's response:
what were the results? i may have the samew issue

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.