Skip to content
trigger finger surgery
sarahnkids posted:
Hello all! I am new to this discussion group. I was wondering if anyone has had trigger finger surgery and what the healing process was? I was told the stitches would be in for 10-14 days. So if anyone has had his surgery I would appreciate any feedback i could get on this subject.........

cruisinglove replied to marijfra's response:
It has been about 5 months since my trigger finger surgery (long finger) the swelling went down about 4 months post surgery. My finger still hurts some and gets very stiff but does not trigger anymore. It gets bent and hurts some to straighten it out. I do the exercises everyday that the hand therapist told me to do. When I make a fist the finger still does not touch my palm like the other fingers do but it better than it was lat month. I sure hope that someday in the near future my finger will not ever hurt and it will not be stiff.

Robynn1243 responded:
I had trigger finger in my pinky finger and my middle finger of the same hand. It was a bother and somewhat painful but it eventually went away on its own in about a year. However I now have trigger thumb in the same hand and the pain is very severe, my thumb won't ever straighten and I can't use my hand very much at all. I went to the doctor with this one and recieved a cortisone shot, it did not help at all so I am going to have surgery. It is the only thing I can do if I hope to be able to grasp anything again. I can't turn my car key, open a jar, hold anything heavy, button a button, open a hair clip, write with a pen, open my sliding cell phone, too many things to mention. It has hindered my job and my life not being able to use my thumb and have this much pain. Good luck

An_228624 replied to james12756's response:
Hi James,
I had surgery on 4/14/2011,and I am still have problem with my third finger,I work as a HHA Assistance ,and i have not been able to return back to my postion yet.
I have been soaking my hand in epson salt,and not relief from this either.I have stiffness,burning,spasm at times.and my hands is showning weakness from all this.
I have been on light duty doing other types of job and at the end of the day,I have three bumps that show up near the fingers and incision area and fingers are very tight and extreme tighness is presented And swollen is presented.So I see that we both are having about the same symptoms And I have even played with playdough to strengthing that area,but for now not much improving,I do hope you can find help,let me know how its goes,good luck.Peggy from Fort Kent.Me.

Bertrum60 replied to An_228624's response:
I had a trigger finger release on my right hand middle finger and I am not happy with the results at all! My finger is still stiff and swollen for the first 4 hours of each day and after the stiff feeling leaves it still stays slightly bent and hurts if I try to correct it...I have been using the 'squeeze toy' they gave me and taking IB 400 mgs every 6 hours...will my finger eventually work right? I had the procedure on 7/20/11...thx!

pussnbruce replied to james12756's response:
my doctor prescribed me a "parabath" which really sooths the pain and burning i'm having and is really helpful right before you do your stretches. it looks like a crock pot with parafin wax melted in it with mineral oil. Wal-mart, beauty supply stores, etc. carry them and are alot cheaper than the medical ones. this is the only thing that calms the burning at my incision spots. I had surgery three months ago.

pussnbruce replied to dphbear's response:
I had three fingers on my right hand done and three months later i have lumps at my incision sights and the burning, can't be soothed with meds. Advice?

artsiecl replied to vikcol's response:
this was two years ago, but just wondering how you did with both hands at one time.........as in how do you go to the bathroom??? I just had right hand done 5 days ago, and, left hand is not skilled at bathroom visits, or in bathing???

Momy24 responded:
I just has trigger finger release surgery on my left thumb a week ago. Although that is healing well, I have 3 more fingers that are now doing the same thing and getting worse by the day. I has a cortisone injection last time, which hurt more than the surgery for three days,, and my Dr is suggesting those injections again for these three fingers, two on my right hand and one on my left. I work with children, and can't afford to take three days off if I am in the same pain again after cortisone, but can't work in that much pain either. I have been taking anti inflammatorys daily in hopes of avoiding this. Does anybody have any other suggestions. I would love to stop this before my appt to have stitches removed next week, and not go find this path again.

mas4144 replied to Momy24's response:
I had a trigger thumb surgically repaired about 10 years ago. It seemed like it was never going to completely heal but it finally did. I had discomfort, swelling and pain that gradually subsided over a period of about two years. Sometimes I would have a burning feeling in the surgical site. Well as I said, after about two years of gradual improvement it finally all went away and my hand went back to normal. I have had no further problems with that thumb but now I am having the same problem with my other thumb. I have no reserations about having surgery on that hand since I now know what to expect. I hope this information will help you and your hand gets back to normal soon. I almost forgot, I had a similar problem with the middle finger on my left hand and the cortisone injections corrected the problem. And, yes, the shot was very painful but worth it.

theshowman responded:
I'm the person to ask about trigger finger surgery. I have had
4 fingers "fixed" in 3 operations. The surgery amounts to
nothing. One of my fingers still had a trigger after the
operation due to the swelling. So I was worried that I would
have to have the operation redone - but after the swelling went
down, all was well. Just be sure to exercise it after it heals.

Momy24 replied to mas4144's response:
I found out that I not only have trigger finger in two fingers and my thumb, I also have carpal tunnel in the same hand. I am going back to the surgeon for the official results from my EMG test, and to schedule the surgery. Just glad that my first hand is healing well, but not looking forward to more surgery, this time on my dominant hand.

Eerik responded:
Hi Sarahnkids! I am also new to this group but wanted to let you know my experience. It may not work for all issues but I was diagnosed with "trigger thumb" and saw a surgeon about it. He had the usual suggestions of shots in the joint or surgery. I was very skittish about it all so I asked him if I didn't do anything at all, what would happen? He said it would stay like that for about a year and then go away!! I said I would wait then to see what would happen and he promptly got up and left the room with no other suggestions. I did wait and in less than six months, it was GONE!! I have not had any problem since and have full use! I have osteoarthritis in my joints including my hands. I hope whatever you decide to do gives you some relief I know it's not very comfortable.

KenD44107 replied to james12756's response:
James12756, did your finger ever improve? I had the same surgery 10 weeks ago and am experiencing the same problems. KenD

I had surgery 10 weeks ago and am having the exact same problems. I appreciate

An_245361 replied to njblt's response:
I am having surgery for sever trigger thumb will I be awake or asleep?

Thank You

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.