Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
exercise and OA of the knee
rachp61 posted:
hello everyone,
I am 48 and was diagnosed with o/a of the right knee a little over a year ago. Since I was diagnosed I have gained weight when I am to be loosing weight. I used to walk all the time and work out on the treadmill. I know the treadmill is not ever going to be something I will use again but what do you think about walking? Does anyone have any good suggestions? I do not swim and miss the cardio workouts and really want to go back to doing something. I am afraid if I walk I will speed up the progression of my o/a. Any thoughts and advice would be so appreciated !!!

_swank_ responded:
There's no reason why you can't walk or use a treadmill. So what if you speed the progression of OA, your heart and lungs are more important. I would also encourage you to get in a pool. You don't need to swim, you can just move or walk in the pool which is excellent exercise. Biking is also something you can do. I've had OA for almost 30 years and will be having my knee replaced soon. I still intend to do all the things I have been doing, which is swim, walk and bike.

rachp61 replied to _swank_'s response:
Thank you for the response . I was concerned because the doctor said that the more pressure you put on your knee of course will make it worse for me. I used to do the treadmill religiously but havent been back on it since I was diagnosed.
I am able to control my pain by taking Chondroitin/Glucosamine and even though some say it does not work, it does for me. I was really not informed that about the debate of it being anything but a mind drug , the pharmacist recommended it to me and I gave it a few weeks and so far so good.

I know shoes is important too so thank you for your thoughts , I feel my heart is important too! I like idea of a bike too.

Good Luck on your surgery , I am sure all will go well .

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to rachp61's response:
What about using an elliptical? My husband has knee issues and prefers the elliptical.

_swank_ replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Always best to ask your doctor, but in general, my doctor tells me that if I can do things without them hurting then it's okay. He says if it hurts, you're hurting it.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to _swank_'s response:
I agree with you _swank_,

My husband is working on a weight issue, which causes pain in his knees and his doctor gave the same advice. Ellipticals are low impact and great cardio.

rachp61 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
That is what my doctor says to me.. if it hurts stop or if it causes pain stop but unfortunately , sometimes, that happens after its too late. I have tried the ellipticals but I may try them again.. Thanks so much again everyone !!!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to rachp61's response:
I hope it works out for you. Because I don't know the pain you actually feel, please be careful to not cause injury. Your doctor should also be consulted before you attempt using an elliptical.
Please keep us updated.

rachp61 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you and I will keep an update. That is my Fear .. to cause injury or more damage and I am frustrated. I am to loose weight but yet I feel I am not able to do the workouts like I used to do so now , I have Gained Weight ! I am looking into a recumbent bike and have called to ask about it from my doctor as well . I did go to a sports store and try the ellipticals but that was uncomfortable on my knees so I stopped but did give it another try. I will hopefully hear something positive from my doctor instead of .." well you can try it and if it hurts stop " .

Geradine4733 responded:
Normal slow paced exercise should not hurt you. Arthritis in our body is going to continue at its own pace. It is silly to give up exercise for fear of making OA worse.

Eat healthy, and exercise sensibly. It does not sound like you have much pain if a supplement will handle your pain.

rachp61 replied to Geradine4733's response:
The pain varies but yes, so far, supplements have helped. I was given a prescription by my doctor when I was first diagnosed. I am sorry I cant remember what it was but after a week or so I was on Cloud 9 , no pain at all but I found out they had some serious side effects so I stopped taking them. I can tell my knee is getting worse but it is not as bad as others. I did givie up my exercise because I worked out on the treadmill . I tried to use it but the pain prevented me from doing so.

I do try to eat healthy but finding an exercise that is good for my heart as well as muscle toning is a biggie for me. I know the longer I wait the worse it will get.

I did finally purchase a bike and so far , seem to be ok with it and have had no problems out of my knee.

Thanks so much for your reply Geradine and I hope all is going well with your situation as well.

cb0711 replied to rachp61's response:
I am 58 and have had RA for 25 years and now have OA in both knees. I use a bike, elliptical and treadmill, depending on how everything is going. I have found a book entitled "Strong Men and Women Beat Arthritis." It is not only interesting reading, but provides a wealth of strength training exercises that start very slowly and build from there. When I follow the program in the book, everything feels better. Of course, it takes a while and is not instant, but my experience has been that strength training must be a part of any exercise program. Good luck in whatever you decide to do

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to cb0711's response:
Hi cb0711,

Would those exercises include strengthening ankles too? I am asking because my hubby has some issues with this.

elena121959 responded:
I was told that the best exercises are the 'non weight-bearing' ones. Some of those are th stationary bike & the leg press. I tried aquatic exercises, which is better for people w/ arthritis in other body areas. Ifyou have a fitness center or YMCA near you, sign up for their classes or use of their equipment.

lynns84 replied to rachp61's response:
Hi Rach! I have had OA for several years and need a knee replacement. I grieved over not being able to walk anymore from the pain (I used to walk all the time) and also over the weight gain. Sounds a lot like what you wrote. I recently joined Curves because I wanted cardio and muscle toning as well as to lose weight. Plus I wanted to be in shape for a replacement. I was very nervous about it hurting - especially the cardio walking between the machines. I didn't want to do any more damage. It is AMAZING! I guess the cushioned "squares" you walk on is what makes a difference for the cardio. I took it easy on the machines the first few times and didn't push with my bad knee - just let the other one do the "work." It was a little swollen, but not as much as if I'd tried to go to the mall or walk in the grocery store. I've had 10 sessions and already feel so much better and stronger and have even lost a little weight. And I can tell a big difference in my "bad" leg being stronger. It is very very encouraging. I take G/C too and I also think that helps. Also, when it was really swollen, I used a cold gel wrap. But since I've started Curves, I haven't needed it at all. Anyway, I hope this will help you. I am very very encouraged.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.