Skip to content
Supartz injections
Illinoislady posted:
I had my first Supartz injections last Thursday and so far it has not made any difference. My next series is this Thursday and I am told that it should make a difference. I have degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis and therapy plus traditional meds are not helping and the ortho surgeon does not want to do knee replacement yet. So, I am hoping that these shots will work. Wish me luck and I will be back to post after the next set of shots.

_swank_ responded:
If the first round of shots didn't work it's not likely the second round will work either. They are not very effective when you are bone on bone. At best they work about 50% of the time. I got no relief from them at all.

The decision on when to do a knee replacement should be yours, not your surgeon's. It's a quality of life thing.

Illinoislady replied to _swank_'s response:
You must have a lot of money or some really great insurance. I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but mine will not pay for something that the Dr. does not recommend. As for the shots not working, I will just have to wait and see. I have heard from others that sometimes it takes the second time to get relief, but if you are right and they are wrong I do want to thank you for your encouragement.

_swank_ replied to Illinoislady's response:
It has nothing to do with money or great insurance. When you are bone on bone and your quality of life sucks because of it there is no where to go but to get worse. Some doctors still think there is a magic age for when you should have a knee replacement. Others believe you are ready when you are ready. If I had a doctor that believed I needed to wait until the magic age of 60 then I would still be in pain and not living my life to the fullest. I would not go to a doctor that felt he knew what was best for me when it came to having my knee replaced. My doctor told me to tell him when I was ready.

Illinoislady replied to _swank_'s response:
Hi swank, I just wanted to let you know that the second series of shots did help me. I am not 100%, but I am able to walk longer and do more yard and housework. I go again on Aug 1st for the 3rd set. I know I will need knee replacement in the future, but at this time it is not possible to do so. I am greatful the there is this option for me. I would also like to know why you thought that after the first shots did not seem to work that the next ones would not either? Have you had experience or are you in the healthfield? Just curious.

_swank_ replied to Illinoislady's response:
I'm going by what two of my doctors told me, what I've read, and the experiences of others. The shots were worthless for me. After my first set my previous doctor told me he would not do another set because he did not believe a second set would work either. He based that on his experience with his patients. My current doctor does not even do them at all. He believes they are a waste of money due to low success rate. If they work for you that's great. You are in the minority.

5hockeymom replied to Illinoislady's response:
Hi ladies... I'm glad to hear of your success with these shots. I am new on these posts. I just had the 3rd injection... OMG... the pain during the injection. The needle itself, painless, but when the fluid goes in WOW.... the first shot, it was only the left knee that was alittle uncomfortable, the right knee, felt nothing. No relief... second week, both knees were uncomfortable with the fluid being pushed in, third week........ I can't tell you, I almost jumped through the roof. And each time afterwards the "normal" pain was still felt and the pain from the shots took 3 days or more to subside down to the "normal" discomfort of stairs/sitting and the like..... I"m scared to go again... I'm not bone on bone from what they say. I do have DJD and osteoarthritis.....I've been in pain for years.. I am 40, a nurse, mom of 5 kids..... my quality of life stinks. I can't go up and down my stairs, geez... I can't even sit and get up off a toilet without severe pain!!!! Anyone else hear that these shots are as painful as I am experiencing... and if they were, in the long run, did it work?? I really want to throw that towel in...... thanks everyone!!!

Illinoislady replied to 5hockeymom's response:
I'm so sorry that you had so much pain from the shots. I don't know if we all have a difference tolerance to pain or if it is the way the Doctor does the shot, but it seems like everyone is having different reactions. I have the degenerative disc disease and Osteoarthritis. So far it is only my left knee that is giving me the most trouble these days. I must say, every day my knee feels a little better. I could not sleep at night at all because of the throbbing. Now that is gone. I still have stiffness and some pain especially going up and down stairs, but I do put a capsium patch on and that also helps. I usually have a couple a patches here and there almost every day. I am 28 years older than you, but I have had DGD and arthritis since I was in my 20's. Getting old is NOT fun, but I guess I just have to take it one day at a time like everyone else. I wanted to ask you, Are you on pain meds also? I have to use a combination of different things every day. When they are all in place, I can usually get a couple of hours of semi-good quality time and get things done. Good luck to and keep us posted on your progress. I will mark this on my watchlist.

Thank you! My tolerance is pretty normal... with some things more than others, of course.. lol! I've lived with chronic pain since I was 16. Just found that I also have greater trocantor bursitis in my hips, that pain has been, what seems like, forever. But now, an answer. No medications.... I am currently breastfeeding. I have had 6 kids. Probably did a number on my joints.... lol. I can't take anything too irritating to my stomach due to problems with gastritis. No... getting old isn't fun. I am such a busy person, and the pain is there, it doesn't stop me, but boy, I am miserable at times. Especially with stairs and getting up and down. I'm not sure about these shots. My right knee is still really sore. On top of the "normal" pain. And, it seems to radiate down my front shin. Not like nerve pain, but an ache. Maybe from compensation when I walk, for fear of the pain... who knows. I am waiting to hear back from my physician. I called on friday. I am going to let him know I am not ready for this weeks injection. Perhaps since I can't take the "48" hours to rest.... it needs a longer time in between. Thank you again... I hope to hear from you soon. And feel well!!!

Illinoislady replied to 5hockeymom's response:
Hi, Just came up to check my emails. We had a massive flood here Friday Nite,Saturday Morning. I wound up with 4 feet of water in my basement. I have to tell you, I am so glad I started the shots I could not walk before and at least now I can get a little bit done. I have to wait for professional cleaners to come and do the most stuff, but I was able to go down and get a few bags of things. The smell and black mold has really taken over, so I can't do what I would like. Back to you, 6 kids will keep you busy. With breastfeeding I am sure you have to watch what you take, but have you ever tried the capsium pain patches? They really helped me with the knee pain, especially the first couple of days after the shots. Today I did not even have one on. So, I guess all is kind of working right now. Tonite is another story. If you have a Walgreen's around you, they have one that stays on the knee real well. You can cut 1 patch in half, thats all you need. (I do not work for Walgreen's) I just like to share what works for me. Well, good luck with your knees, I hope you can get some relief soon.

OH.. I am so sorry to hear about all that water you got in your home!!! I hope that all goes well. I can certainly understand having relief from the pain and having to handle all of that. UGH

No... I haven't heard of that, but there is a Walgreens less than a mile away. I will absolutely check that out, thank you for the tip.
Glad all went well with your shots. Today is 4 days after my last set (3rd) shots, I have a soft lump the size of a 1/2 dollar where the shot was, and there is a dime size reddened area where the needle went in. Knee is pretty swollen and limited mobility (unable to fully straighten). The other knee just has the normal pains that I always feel. Even if I walk... there is sometimes a POP feeling in the right... I don't like the feeling at all. I'm not sure I want to do anymore. I am a nurse....but it just doesn't feel right to me. And so many people that have had them, didn't have any problems or pain associates with them..... oh well. Maybe its not for everyone. Hopefully there is another option. Or maybe going two weeks in between, is another solution. We'll see!

Good luck with everything at your home.... I hope that things clear up soon! )

christykneepain replied to 5hockeymom's response:
Dont know if you will see this. I was wondering how long the pain lasted that you mentioned radiating down your shinbone?. I've had two out of five Supartz shots and I am experiencing that now. Don't know whether I should proceed with number 3, 4 and five. Thank you for replying.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.