Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee pain while sleeping
psucsi posted:
Osteoarthritis in both knees. Had a lot of fluid build up to the point it had a very negative effect on my standing and walking. So at 54 I had my first drain (15cc from the right and 12cc from the left) and then a steroid shot. Stepped off the table and was amazed at how much I had improved just by getting the fluid off the knee. No steroid rebound effect but since the drain I wake after 4 to 5 hours of sleep with a strong pain (burning) in the interior section of my right knee. I sleep primarily on my right side. I get up and move around a bit and the pain goes away. Go back to sleep and after a bit the pain returns. After trying pillows and towels for props and a Mueller neoprene knee brace I tried sleeping in my recliner downstairs. No knee pain at all that night. My doc agrees it is probably some mechanical issue but not coming up with any other solutions. When they did the xrays, they were not weight bearing so not sure how much "space" I have left between bones. Interested in hearing any other similar experiences and if you found any solutions. Thanks.

_swank_ responded:
Is your doctor an orthopedic surgeon? If not then have him refer you to one. X-rays are pretty much useless for most of the things that happen in knees. To get a better look in there you need an MRI. Once you get a real diagnoses you can decide on a treatment plan.

Illinoislady replied to _swank_'s response:
This is very interesting that you said that an x-ray is usless for the knees. When I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon with my MRI, he looked at it and then sent me to get a couple of x-rays. Do you have any idea why he would do that? He is a very well know Orthopedic in my area. He also is the one that suggested the Supartz shots which is still working. Your imput would be appreciated.

_swank_ replied to Illinoislady's response:
I said they are useless for MOST of the things that happen in knees. X-rays show bones, so if there is a broken bone or some bad arthritis then it will show up. I read a lot of posts from people that suffer a sudden injury, go to their primary doctor who takes x-rays, and then are told nothing is broken so they're okay. An MRI will show the soft tissue in the knees like ligaments, meniscii, tendons and muscles which get injured quite often.

If your doctor took an x-ray then he either saw something in the MRI and wanted a better look at your bones or he just wanted a set of x-rays.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.