Skip to content
dorsal digital synovial cysts
2Cowboys posted:
As I understand it, the little blister that appears at the base of my fingernail (also deforms the nail growth) is probably leaking synovial fluid (verified by my gp). In the past, I have often had caught this blister on something that created a cut. It became so sore, I excised it and expressed the fluid then cleaned and applied antibiotic ointment. It disappeared for a couple of years and my nail deformity grew out. My question is: if I do this again, does it affect the amount of synovial fluid in my finger joint? Does the fluid regenerate?

_swank_ responded:
Let your doctor handle it. Doing it yourself could make things much worse.

undefined responded:
I also had the exact same blister on one finger on my left hand. After excising it I developed a nasty staff infection. In 24 hrs. it went from just sore to major antibiotics and worrying about actually losing my finger. After everything cleared up I had no problems for a year. Then I started to develop a blister on the same finger on my right hand. For years it has also caused a deformity on that finger. I caught it a couple weeks ago and felt something oily, so I immediatly put neosporin and a band-aid on it. After my last experience I went to urgent care (Saturday) and got on an antibiotic immediately. It has now grown big enough to get scraped easily. I will be going to my regular doctor and have it taken care of properly.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.