Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
severe degenerative bone disease
pinkhappyhill posted:
Just been diagnosed with severe degenerative bone disease, neck, hips and both knees. Referred to a Orthapedic surgeon. Can anyone tell me about a diagnosis like this I am 57 years old and have 50 % mobility.

_swank_ responded:
Pretty much everyone's bones and joints begin to degenerate as they grow older. It's pretty much meaningless unless you have pain. If you have pain then you evaluate one joint at a time and treat accordingly.

An_224166 responded:
I have alot to say, regarding this ailment, as I've had it for 7-8
years. It all began with a traffic accident 23 years ago. To make a long story short, I ended up with whiplash. Legitimate
whiplash!! The years past, the physical abuse was there also.
Then it came to the point of 'degenertive disc disease. I had
neck surgery and back surgery, but it got to the point that I
was walkiing with a cane and in alot of pain. Then came epidurals, several of them. Than came the medical pump that
I have surgicaly implanted. Of course there is medicine all
along the way.
It's serious enough, to alert you to be careful, or if necessary,
to take care of the problem. It sounds like to need to read about, and find out, all you can.
Good luck to you. God bless you.

ddouble52 replied to An_224166's response:
I have denenerative disk disease and my back hurts BAD. the doctor's are wanting to insert the Morphine pump, but I have not heard from anyone about how well this helps. Should i just have back surgery or try the morphine pump thing??

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to ddouble52's response:
Hi Ddouble and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to start a new discussion on this on our Pain Management community .

To do that, click on the link I provided and, once there, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

AwareRelic responded:
This can be a confusing subject because there are two different types of degenerative in which are classified in the same catagory however are different. Osteo occurs from the inside out and there are several treatments however there is a degenerative which reacts from the outside in, in the bones and there currently is not any treatment for. There is research on going showing a strong possible connection to degenerative associated after having epidural block injections. I myself am one of those possible. I have had it for over 7 yrs. I have begun to wonder about the epidurals being offered like lollipops to women giving birth. I have noticed an increase in degenerative in women since the introduction of this practice and the standard usage for the preventage of surgery in spinal injuries. They only fool the muscles they provide no benefit to the injury. Cortizone injections do sometimes provide some comfort from pain but there are hospitals getting away from the practice of epidurals. You must first research which degenerative you have because there is new injection treatment being tested which rejuvinates the disks and has had profound results. I have degenerative that affects the bones from the outside in, it is in over half my body, and am waiting on a wheelchair. There is no treatment for myself however I wish you the best of luck for you might still have options that I do not. Good luck!!!!

huckeldave responded:
What can I say"026 I too am 57 and was dia with the same Degenerative bone disease and this AM with rain outside I find I cannot even stand. The pain becomes even worse when I stop moving and seems to roll for awhile before calming, if thats what I should call it. I thought I knew pain. This is unbelievable!
I have BIG decisions now to make about where to live, selling this two story now I cannot climb stairs - life changes we thought we'd prepared for, eh?
Was 50% mobile but now down to 20% and I feel the tic tic tic.

georgia888 replied to huckeldave's response:
I'll soon be 57 & have OA in several joints but the lower back is where it hurts most. I also have Fibromyalgia & the combination is brutal. As a result, I was forced to take early retirement. My new full time job is managing my condition. Although the OA is degenerative, there are ways to keep it under control. These include:
- keep the weight down (extra pounds on a bad joint is a greater burden leading to more pain & faster degeneration).
- keep active - "motion is lotion"; I have found warm water therapy to be very helpful with flexibility & consequently, improved mobility; walking is another good form of exercise & somewhat easy for many of us.
- stretch throughout the day.
- eat well & avoid the junk foods (this rule applies to maintaining better health for those with or without OA).
- work at keeping a positive attitude; grieving is normal but try to limit time spent on unproductive thoughts.
- keep it in perspective: living in chronic pain can be very difficult but we can all think of those worse off than ourselves.
- pace yourself.

huckeldave, have you found any medications to help with pain relief? If not, please look into help from a pain clinic and/or a physiatrist (one who specializes in managing pain). Your primary care physician should be able to refer you to such.

Best wishes to you,
georgia

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

pain relief with cod liver oil and orange juice
I have heard from 2 ladies that taking cod liver oil 1 Tab in orange juice over a long period of time releaved their osteoarthritis pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.