Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
60th birthday 4 days ago-today Rec'd the definitive dx of Osteoporosis
An_250744 posted:
My T score went from -1.7 (2.5 years ago) to -2.8. I am scehduled to see my asthma doctor next week. Should I ask him to take me off the inhaled steroid inhaler named Symbocort--is it negatively affecting my bones?

bonebabe responded:
Yes, it can negatively affect your bones, but how dependent on it are you to breathe?

If you aren't on an osteo medication, you should take the opportunity to talk with him about it, if he hasn't brought it up to you already.

That's a pretty significant drop in 2 1/2 years. Did you have your test done at the same place? Was this your spine or hip score?

Make sure you're getting 1200 mg of calcium and 1000 IU of Vit D each day or any osteo med you take won't work effectively. A -2.8 won't ever get back up to the normal range, but you can strengthen your bones.

Are you on hormones? Why didn't your doctor put you medication when you were a -1.7 and on Symbocort? You definitely need to take action now to stop the downward slide.

123niru replied to bonebabe's response:
Thankyou for your reply. I use my inhaler twice a day. I have never smoked and do not drink. I have had allergies for years and the dr. told me that often leads to asthma. I have been on short doses of prednisone on/off when the asthma has worsened. I was on a table for the scan and am not 100% sure if it was my spine or hip reading-----but if I had to guess, I would say my hip because she kept having me move my hips ever so little this way or that. I am not on hormones and never have been. I am also not on any osteo medications and never have been. Thanks so much for the calcium and vitamin D information. I am scared to be truthful. I have to admit that I have had a lifetime aversion to all dairy products. As a child I would not ever drink milk either. I thought my scan would be better because I had been walking on the treadmill fairly regular since my last GYN visit. I feel little hope.

bonebabe replied to 123niru's response:
Just because your score is -2.8, it doesn't guarantee you a fracture. Many people have much lower scores and never break a bone.

If your feet were positioned in a device that velcroed them and rotated your hip a little awkwardly, that was a hip scan. The spine is scanned with you just lying straight on the table with your arms at your sides.

I never drank milk either. Hated it. Hate yogurt. But you can get calcium in OJ and many other products. Just read the labels. If it says a serving contains 30% of your daily requirement of calcium, that's 300 mg. If it says 25%, that's 250 mg. Remember you'll only absorb about 500 mg at a time.

It is very likely that you never built your bone mass up to its maximum potential and now you're losing what you had. That's why it's so very important to make sure our children and grandchildren build up their bones while young. When I was in school (I'm 62) we were taught that we had until age 35 or so build our bone bank. Now because of social and environmental changes, children reach their peak bone mass around age 21.

Take your calcium and D. Walk every day. Decide with your doctor which med you want to take. You need something to stop the downward slide.

The NOF website has a good section on all the approved medications, their pros and cons and who they're approved for. Get familiar with it, then talk to your doctor.

It's not too late for you to live the life you want now that you have this information.

An_250744 replied to bonebabe's response:
Thank you bonebabe. I did phone the GYN and ask about the bone scan. It was BOTH the hip and the spine. I have seen the primary doctor once and he also discussed calcium fortified foods and he mentioned OJ, canned salmon-eat the bones, soy, raw broccoli, and others. I am to STOP the constant diet cokes.

He also bumped up the calcium to 1500mg (throughout the day in doses-like you mentioned-no more than 500mg/dose). He also put me on 5,000units of Vitamin D/day. He told me to get out into the sun without sunscreen for 10-15min/day as soon as this deep winter allows it. I also am scheduled for a comprehensive bloodwork panel.

He told me to read about this condition and not live my life in constant fear of a fracture. I told him about the treadmill and I promised him (and you) that I will do it daily for 1 hour per day. Hubby put a TV in front of it, so boredom does not set in. I am also to lift these dumbbells to build myself up. I actually do feel more hopeful then I had been feeling.

I did see the lung doctor this morning and he will not stop the symbocort----and he explained to me that it is less likely to be absorbed when inhaled and the goal is to prevent the exacerbations that land me on prednisone. He did compromise and we agreed to change to ONE puff 2 times/day to see how I do. He then said if all goes ok, then he is agreeable to put me on a different type of inhaler.....but that it has to be weaned slowly.

I do not know if my primary doctor will put me on meds such as Boniva. He said we will talk after the bloodwork is in. I cannot thankyou enough for your support and suggestions. I will check out the NOF website when I get done here.

Remember, I promised to do the treadmill and I will not let anyone down---including me! PS I am always pushing milk and cheese on the grandkids and wish my mother had done so to me. She was only 17 and did not know any better. Again, God Bless.

bonebabe replied to An_250744's response:
Your primary care doctor has given you some good advice. I'm not sure about the dumbells though. How will you use them and how heavy they? You shouldn't be lifting more than 10 lbs. If you do lift them, keep them close to your body and NO bending from the waist.

You need to be on a med no matter the blood work result. You don't want your scores to go even lower and they will without intervention.

Look for calcium enriched foods too. So many foods now have calcium added that it's not just about broccoli. I know Earth Grains bread has 100 mg in each slice. If you eat a sandwich with cheese in it - you've got your 500 mg. Almonds too are a good source. I love almonds! Just get to be an expert label reader. It's not just dairy anymore.

Best of luck to you. You sound motivated and committed. That's good. You'll do fine.

Hi: I am glad that you told me about the earth grains bread and I have now got a large bag of almonds from the whole foods store.

I did weigh those free weights (dumbbells) They weigh 3 pounds each. I have two of them. They came with a book that shows the exercises. They are to build up my strength---not muscles. I just have one in each hand. If they are in your thoughts doctor, too heavy, then let me know and I will take them back to the store. I am a medium boned woman and they do not seem heavy to me. I am making sure to keep them close to my core.

I have never had a doctor tell me to do no bending from the waist and now I am wondering this:
did you mean with those weights or other things such as lifting up my 1.5 year old grandson? Should I stop lifting bags of mulch and dirt in my garden as well?

I really do not want to take any steps backward.

Absolutely do not lift mulch and dirt! When you lift your grandson, squat down, pull him close to your body, then stand. Don't bend over and pick him up.

If you get the booklet I recommended from the NOF "Boning up on Osteoporosis" it will give you illustrations of movements to make and not make. Things you do every day.

I think the 3 lb weights are fine as long as you're not bending or twisting the spine.

I have ordered the book from the NOF and also gave them a donation. I feel so uneducated about this disease, but am willing to deal with it.
I am so glad that I asked you about lifting mulch or dirt, because I sure enough would have been doing that come Spring. It has been my joy and hobby for years. I will just have to replace it with something else. Our daughter just told us this past weekend that she has hired a lawn service for us due to my husband's recent (tinnitis) because he cannot tolerate loud sounds like the lawnmower and also because of my asthma. I had thought great, more time for me and my mulch and dirt----but I see now, that this is a life-changing event.
I will read that boning up on osteoporosis book from stem to stern as soon as it arrives.
I have been faithful on the treadmill walking. I stopped with the dumbbells until I saw your reply that 3 lbs are ok. I will not bend or twist.
You are very knowledgeable and you are APPRECIATED by me.

You know there are ways to continue with the mulch and dirt. You can have raised flowers beds. You can also leave the mulch/dirt in the car and scoop it out into a wheelbarrow and then use it on your beds. You just don't want to be lifting 20-40 lbs of dirt. Do it a little at a time. Same with groceries. Don't load up your arms. Use more bags with fewer items in them. Hold the gallon milk close to your body.

You'll get a lot out of the booklet. I'm so glad you ordered it.

Thank you for your appreciation. I'm happy to be able to help people through this site.

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website