Skip to content
Please help
chants28 posted:
Hi

I'm 37 years old and was diagnosed with osteoporosis 4 years ago. I went for a bone density scan last September 2013 and I now have server osteoporosis in my hips Left Hip Score -2,0 and Right Hip Score -2.1. My endocrinologist has put me on Protos (Strontium Ranelate) as well as Vit D. We have also discovered that my iron levels were critically low so I also take iron supplements.

I'm not happy with the Protos side effects etc. and I worry about the long term effects. I'd like to know if anyone has gone the Homeopathic route with their condition? And is it working?

I look forward to your comments.

bonebabe responded:
Did you have an early menopause? Technically (and this is important for insurance reasons too) a diagnosis of osteoporosis is given only to postmenopausal women. Also is it defined as having a T-score of -2.5 and below or having had a vertebral or hip fracture. Your T-scores are not in the osteoporosis range. Have you had a compression or hip fracture?

If you're not postmenopausal, your scores for your age are not alarming.

Because of the RX for Protelos, I'm assuming you do not live in the USA. There is recent study out (referenced in this community recently) about the ineffectiveness and side effects of strontium.

Not knowing anything about your health history, just from what you've posted, you have low bone density. You do not have osteoporosis or severe osteoporosis.

If your Vit D levels are low, it is common for doctors to prescribe 50,000 IU of Vit D as a booster. When your levels come up, you can maintain with the recommended 1000 IU a day.

You didn't say anything about calcium. You need 1200 mg a day, however the strontium complicates it as they are both minerals and absorption is tricky.

Medication is not usually prescribed for premenopausal women unless there are health complications or a history of fractures.

There is no homeopathic way to increase bone density once you're past menopause. There are many prior posts here about that.

At your age, I'd think you would concentrate on getting sufficient D and calcium and being on your feet at least 4 hours a day.

Why did you have a bone density test in the first place? Are you on prednisone or is your low bone density secondary to something else going on like Crohn's or IBS?

As I tell most people on this forum, go to the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org ) for a lot of reliable information that can answer your questions and questions you didn't even know you had.

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website