Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Calcium absorption
fox427 posted:
I had heard that calcium citrate is the best option for calcium supplements. I need to optimize my calcium, and want to take the right kind of calcium. Calcium citrate is very hard to find in a supplement.

bonebabe responded:
There is no good or bad calcium. It's a mineral and not broken down.

Calcium Citrate (Citracal, etc) is often recommended because it's not as dense as calcium carbonate and people who have issues with gas and constipation can more easily tolerate it.

Calcium carbonate, (Oscal, Viactive, Tums, etc) is a one pill dose. You take one pill with lunch and one with supper, whereas Calcium Citrate is a 2-pill dose. You would take 2 pills with lunch and 2 with supper.

To maximize the calcium, you have to have Vit D. It's what send the calcium to the bones - so be sure to get a supplement with Vit D added. If constipation is a problem, get one with magnasium too.

planetocean responded:
Calcium Citrate is a better absorbed form of Ca and is available in a variety of brand and generic products, including Costco's Kirkland brand. Calcium Carbonate is not only hard on the stomach but its Ca bioavailability (the amount of Ca absorbed by your body) is very low. Tums in particular, because of its low Ca bioavailability, can do more damage to your kidneys than the benefit to the bones.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website