Skip to content
CTX blood test and bisphosphonates
miraclegirl1977 posted:
Hi everyone!
I did some research and found out that I could ask my Doctor about doing some blood work to see how much bisphosphonates are in my bones! The first lab Tech, didn't send my blood off, so they had to take it again! You can read about the test here: http://www.lexi.com/individuals/dentistry/newsletters.jsp?id=april_10 Or you can google C-terminal telopeptide and read up on it. I don't know how costly the test is, my insurance covered it. My test results were in the 145 range BUT it was for like 40 to 49 yr olds. I'm 55 yrs old. I tried to find out why they didn't have a range for above 49 but so far haven't found anything. If anyone knows what the range is for my age group, please post. It shows that 145 range is moderate risk. He told me that if I don't have to have a tooth extracted...don't do it...live with it! In other words, there's a chance that they could kill my jaw bone!

bonebabe responded:
There are so many holes in this study I hardly know where to begin.

First and foremost it was not a controlled study. It was also done in a single area, not broadly based. It also has not been proven or accepted by medical professionals and statements are generalized. It also stated that if a patient did not need the medicines, she was better off not taking them. That's their CYA statement.

Bone is very slow to respond to change - whether starting or stopping a medication. It is laughable to think that within only a few months of starting a drug someone could tell the results and implications of it.

Besides, IF you should have some jaw bone necrosis (and this is very rare) the bone WILL grow back, but slowly.

The fact is, if you are at risk for fracture, the consequences of that are much graver than any perceived threat of jaw necrosis.

We had a patient who listened to pap like this and stopped her medication. Said she "felt like my bones are strong," and would self treat "naturally." Well, she slipped on some loose rock, fell and broke her arm. OK, she thought, just my arm. Put a cast on it and be inconvenienced for a while.

Nope. Didn't turn out that way. After weeks and weeks of being in a cast, the arm wasn't healing. Surgery was done to insert hardware. This hardware actually protruded from her harm. Very painful and very difficult to maintain her lifestyle (think showers and dressing and driving) with this hardware. Then she had to have surgery to remove the hardware and another cast put on the keep the arm steady while completing recovery. More weeks of inconvenience.

She had a total of 9 months of being without the use of her arm and then had physical therapy to strengthen it. After all that guess what the doctor did with her endorsement? Put her on Actonel! Maybe if she'd not listened to alarmist articles and horror stories based on fear, not fact, she could've avoided this break in the first place.

Every person needs to assess his/her risks for fractures. If the risk is high - a medication is the only chance a person has of avoiding breaking something. It doesn't guarantee a fracture free life, but it does improve the chances of one.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website