Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help with Osteoporosis
chilly67 posted:
I have osteoporosis and want to go the natural route for help. I am currently taking Bone Strength, but started seeing a nutritionist who says they've had a lot of success with a product called Pro Bono. Would like some feedback from anyone who has tried it. Thanks.

bonebabe responded:
How do they know they've had success?

bonebabe responded:
I was just looking this up and was astounded at the price - $85 for one month! That is outrageous.

I also couldn't find much information on it other than sites that sold it. I did see a nutritional label with marketing talking points. What concerned me the most was the statement about strontium. The statement about strontium improving bone density is for Strontium Ranelate, the package contains Strontium Citrate. Big difference. Strontium Ranelate is a prescription drug in other countries. It is not pure or natural strontium. Strontium Citrate has had nothing to show it improves bone density. It will, however, give you a false positive as the DXA machines measure only calcium. If strontium is in the body, it will make your bones look artificially improved.

I would definitely NOT take this product. It won't hurt you, but it sure won't do anything more for your bones than a good calcium supplement.

If you have osteoporosis though, you need to talk to your doctor about a medication for it. Depending on your health history and T-scores, you may be at a point where nothing natural will help.

If you are young (under age 70) and haven't had a fracture and your T-score is at -2.5, you could try for the next two years just doing calcium, but if your scores don't improve or stay the same, you need to do the meds. Your risks increase as you age - and there is NOTHING NATURAL that will reverse osteoporosis. You're just wasting your money and during that time, your bones become more fragile.

Helpful Tips

Great product for arthritis pain sufferers
For two years, I was suffering with pain in my left arm. In addition, I grew a bone spur on my left foot. The doctor diagnosed me with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website