Skip to content
Osteoporosis and calcium, vitamin D supplements
nodeerhere posted:
I have osteoporosis and I recently went to a new internist. In discussing my bone health, this doctor indicated that supplements are not a good idea. Calcium has been in the news lately because it is not good for the heart. Too much vitamin D can cause toxicity. I have been taking minimum of 1200 unit calcium/day plus 2000 units of Vitamin D/day. The 2000 units of vitamin D was recommended by another doctor who said studies indicate this dosage helps to avoid hip fractures. I get so much conflicting information that I don't know what to do. What is your opinion on this?

bonebabe responded:
What you are doing is fine. You body needs calcium for many things other than bones. That's why if you don't put it in, the body will take what it needs from the bones, thereby depleting your bone mass.

We prefer to see our patients get as much of their calcium as possible from food sources and to supplement when necessary. If you get 500 mg/day from food, then take one supplement to complete the 1200 mg daily recommendation.

2000 IU of Vit D is not going to hurt you. In fact, it is being considered now by the NOF to be the new standard requirement. Since it is in very few foods, you pretty much have to take a supplement. I wouldn't go over 2000 IU/day unless you were really deficient.

nodeerhere replied to bonebabe's response:
Thank you for your response. This is what I thought too. I don't know how this doctor can flatly declare that vitamins are not necessary and I am wasting my money.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website