Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please advice 86yr Old Operated on 4 x in two months - hip replacement and broken furmer
pschoe posted:
My Mom 86year old Mom fell in April - because of the fall her hip replacement came out of place and the Dr decided to do a complete replacement.the Dr replaced the prosthesis - and she went home a few days later.

Two weeks later my Mom was crying of pain, she went back to the hospital - the femoral head of the prosthesis came out, The surgeon who operated on my Mom was on vacation so a new doctor - saw my Mom. He mentioned that there was a fracture in the femur bone but he had to pop the femoral head back under unaesthetic - this doctor broke my Moms leg while trying to pop the head back. My Mom had to lay with the broken leg and extreme pain for 3 days waiting for the first surgeon to come back from vacation.

This surgeon fixed the broken leg by adding a metal plate. He also screw the head of the femoral head to the pelvis so it won't pop out again. My mom went home a few days later - and a week later she's back in hospital becausse some of the screws in the metal plate came lose. So yet again she had to go in for another 4 hour surgery. She received a blood transfusion today - and she also started with Physio Therapy - she said she can move the leg - but it's pain full when she try to walk. They have a black cast on the leg for support it runs from her upper leg past the knee - but she can bend the knee with no trouble.
My question is this:
Is she walking to soon or maybe moving the leg to much - This time they have replaced the plate again with a longer plate and more screws - My thinking is that the bone is porous because of the osteoporosis and I think the dr has made the leg/bone weaker and more porous by removing the previous plate and re-installing another plate.
What would be the best strategy. for recovery - my mom also suffer from heart failure. She has been through so much the past two months.

She has been through a lot and all I want to do is get the right information to help her recover - with no more surgeries. Protecting her from anymore injuries.
Thanks for any information and advice

bonebabe responded:
Well, having osteoporosis certainly will compromise any recovery she has from this hip replacement. Sounds like she (and you) have been through the ringer!

Is she on Forteo? If not, I'd talk to the doctor about putting her on it pronto. Also taking calcium (1200 mg/day) and Vit D (1000 IU/day) The calcium should be taken with meals in 600 mg increments.

No, it's not too soon to walk. Walking and bearing weight speed healing and bone building. The worst thing she could do is lie around waiting to heal. Won't happen.

Make sure she doesn't have any tripping hazards in her home. Remove any throw rugs, put lights in places where she'll need it - bathroom and bedroom - if she gets up during the night. Handrails, etc.

Don't second guess the doctor and the hardware. It was necessary. Might not be perfect, but it was necessary.

Look at the NOF website (www.nof.org ). They used to have a section on recovering from hip fracture and/or surgery. They have tons of information you can use now.

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website