Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fosamax and Dental Problems
hudes1959 posted:
I have a history of multiple fractured ribs without any corresponding trauma. The last two times were caused by my bending over. My most recent bone density shows severe osteopenia. I've also lost a total of 2 1/2 inches so far and am only 54. My physician is considering starting me on Fosamax even though I don't have full-blown osteoporosis. I've been reading up on it and have found a major red flag - dental implants. Do dental complications disqualify you from using Fosamax always? Are there any other medications that don't have similar complications? Does anyone have experience with treating osteopenia with meds? Any information is welcome!

bonebabe responded:
Your fractures give you a clinical diagnosis of osteoporosis. Forget the osteopenia. You now have to deal with reducing your risk for further fractures, and you are at high risk.

Your doctor is right to put you on a med. Is your concern about dental implants because you have them, are considering them or just worried in general?

Osteoporosis causes you to lose bone all over your body - but at different rates. That means you also lose bone in your jaw. In fact, many dentists send their patients to us for testing when they notice that dentures are getting loose or teeth are becoming loose in their patients.

The dental complications would not disqualify you from using a drug. In fact, your risk of having more fractures is much much greater than any risk you have from a medication. Sometimes there are no clear cut answers. You just have to treat the more severe problem.

If you don't want to do a bisphosphonate, you can try Evista or hormone therapy. It is imperative that you consume 1200 mg of calcium a day to maximize the effectiveness of any osteoporosis medication you take. Also you need 1000 IU of Vit D. This sends the calcium to the bones.

I would urge you to go on the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org ) for a lot of helpful information. You can also order their booklet "Boning up on Osteoporosis." It is chock full of info and tips for you, especially on movement to do and movements to avoid - such as bending forward at the waist. It also has a good section on the different medications so that you can research them and then have an educated conversation with your doctor.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website