Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Very High Vitamin D level
shine65 posted:
Hi, I am a 48 yrs old female of asian (not oriental) decent and petite. I do have my periods regularly. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 39 yrs old. Since than I have been on 50mcg of synthroid. My recent physicals indicated that I have osteopenia (hips T Score: -1.41) and my blood work revealed that my Vitamin D level is very high (96) even though my calcium level is within normal range (8.5). My thyroid levels are within normal range. I do not take any vitamin D supplements at all. I do take calcium supplement and it has Vitamin D in it but I am not taking it regularly (maybe 1x per week). I am wondering what is causing my high Vitamin D level. My PCP have ordered another blood work to check for parathyroid hormones, magnesium and phosphorus. I have started doing yoga and try to be regular. With my osteopenia, is deadlifts a bad weight bearing exercise for my hips? So far, I have no pain in my hips. Can someone shed some light based on your experiences what is going on pls? Also, because of my very high Vitamin D level, I cannot take my current calcium supplement because it has Vitamin D. Does anyone know of a absorbable calcium supplement without Vitamin D pls? Thks in advance Shine65

bonebabe responded:
A couple of things. First, I don't know why your D levels could be high. Have you lived near the equator for any length of time? That would do it. Your doctor is right to be looking into it. Second, you can take Tums for your calcium supplement. There's no D in that. There are many choices (we like the fruit flavored smooth disolve ones). Read the labels to get the right amount of calcium. I know there's a 200 mg, a 400 mg and a 500 mg. I'd to the 500 mg twice a day, right after a meal. Third, with regular periods, you've not gone through menopause, therefore you need to be looking at Z-scores, not T-scores and there is no diagnosis of osteopenia. Once you've been 12 consecutive months without a period, you will have gone through menopause and would count T-scores. But, you are very wise to be doing what you can to improve your bone density because when that estrogen stops, your numbers will drop. How much? Don't know. At that time you may want to discuss a medication with your doctor, depending on your scores and other risk factors for fractures. I'd go lightly on the yoga, if you do it at all. We advise our patients not to. There's too much unnecessary risk for fracturing. And don't count on pain to warn you. There is none with osteoporosis until you fracture. That's why it's called The Silent Disease. Check out the National Osteoporosis Foundation (www.nof.org) website for a lot of good info. Beth

shine65 responded:
Thks alot Beth for your prompt response and your support to help us. Yes, I was born in Singapore and have lived near the equator all my life. I came to this country 15 yrs ago. Thks for making me aware of the Z-scores and the calcium supplement. Is deadlift - weight-bearing exercise bad for me? Appreciate it very much!!! Thks Shine65

bonebabe responded:
I don't know what deadlift-weight-bearing is exactly. I do know that you shouldn't do any movements that twist the spine or bend it forward (Pilates, crunches, toe touches, waist twists) or any heavy lifting that puts weight on the spine. That help?

shine65 responded:
ok. thks!!!!

lyndsayhall responded:
Just wondering if you ever figured anything out about your dx? I too have high D levels (104) and just found I have osteopenia. I had been monitoring my thyroid for a few years now (tiny nodules that appear to be stable and nothing at all) and my doctor just sent me for more blood work to check parathyroid levels. Any info about your situation would be much appreciated. I have yet to find anyone with the same mix of issues going on. High vitamin D levels just don't seem to fit with the demineralization of bone. thanks!

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Felicia Cosman, MD replied to bonebabe's response:
Shine65,

Since you are a healthy 48 year old premenopausal woman with what appears to be normal bone density, especially for a petite person, you shouldn't need to make any exercise restrictions to prevent fractures at this time. A Z-score above -2.0 is considered "within the expected range".

You should also check to make sure the vitamin D test you had checked your 25OHD level and not your 1,25OH2D level. The 1,25OH2D level has a higher normal range. If your 25OHD level was tested, it may be due to sun exposure. Otherwise, it is probably related to lab error, and will probably be lower when repeated. It is certainly nothing to worry about. TUMS has calcium without vitamin D.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website