Skip to content
Save Our Bones website
pattyann220 posted:
I have read the Save Our Bones website where natural treatment is recommended vs taking medication such as Fosamex. IE: eating certain foods/exercising..

The website recommends the following: wearing weights (ankle and hand) and/or body belt weights to increase bone cell production which can possibly decrease osteoporosis.

Also, they recommend high impact exercises (jumping up and down/jogging) to increase bone cell production.

Does any one know if this is true? Or is it bogus??

bonebabe responded:
Yes and no. It's true that eating foods high in calcium, limiting protein , taking a Vitamin D supplement and exercising on your feet at least 1/2 hour a day is critical to amassing bone density. However, that said, it's not a fool proof formula. There are people who do everything right according to plan and still have deplorable bone density. On the other hand, there are those who've neglected their bone health who have marvelous density. There are factors in play other than following a program over which you have no control.

As for the high impact exercises - they're fine if you're young and your bone density is good. They're a risk if you're already into the osteopenic/osteoporotic stage. The jumping/jogging can actually cause the tiny struts within the vertebral casing to break. You don't feel this and are totally unaware of the damage until the last strut within the vertebra breaks causing a compression fracture. THEN you know for sure you've done irreparable harm because the pain is extreme.

Natural treatment, as people are defining it, sounds like a good thing, and to a large degree in healthy people, it is. But....there comes a time when it may not be enough, and in my opinion, it's very foolish to dismiss a prescription drug with a proven benefit because it's not "natural." There's more harm being done in having a fracture than in taking a drug that reduces your chances of having that fracture.

Hope this isn't confusing for you. It's an ongoing conversation between two camps. You and your doctor have to decide what's best for you as an individual based on your personal history, risk factors and genetic makeup.

Beth

Tomato05 responded:
Well, I seem to fit their bill!

I stopped taking Fosamax because I had to get dental implants. I now take Strontium (derived from a natural mineral) and my bone density is better.

I have severe osteoporosis, not just mild, but I run, and lift heavy weights. Since doing so, my body has improved a lot in terms of fat distribution, muscular and skeletal strength, hardly no injuries, stronger ligaments and better coordination.

I just listen to my body, and do what makes it feel best.

Thanks for telling us about the Save Our Bones site; I am checking it out right now.

Trishanna responded:
Beth.. can you explain to me about the amazing struts inside the vertebra please... how many struts per vertebrae and do they break away and then when the final strut breaks it causes a compression fracture... Guess what I am questioning is can you break a strut and not know it until all the struts are gone in that vertebrae Thanks for sharing all your knowledge

bonebabe responded:
The struts are those bones that are commonly referred to as "honeycomb" bone. I don't know how many are in each vertebra. The struts are what hold the vertebral casing in place. Because they are so tiny, when bones start to thin, obviously, the thinnest bones suffer first. When these bones break, they cause no pain. You can continue your activities without realizing the damage being done. They will continue to break unnoticed until the last one within the vertebra snaps. Then...the vertebra collapses against the adjoining vertebra, causing a compression fracture. THAT's when you feel the pain. And, of course, theres' no going back at that point. What you want to do, especially if your bone density is low, is avoid repetitive movements that cause pressure on the spine, i.e., bending forward at the waist, twisting of the spine, abs, etc. Just because you do it for months or more and hear your body screaming at you, doesn't mean damage isn't being done. By the time you hear the screams, you'll be too late to stop it.

Hope this clears it up for you.

mixiedixie replied to bonebabe's response:
bonebabe, people like you really scare me. Espousing the use of prescription osteoporosis drugs is irresponsible. It has been proven that bisphosphonates actually cause bones to become brittle, not stronger. Especially for people in their 50's, 60's and even 70's, who expect to live many more years, this is bad medicine! And other drugs, such as Evista, that are not bisphosphonates, have horrendous side effects. Personally, I would rather risk a fracture than a clot! I don't know what Rx's you are referring to as having "proven benefits", unless you mean benefit to the pharmaceutical industry.

bonebabe replied to mixiedixie's response:
As I've stated many times, each person had to decide for herself what is right for her. This may or may not be prescription drugs.

You say that "it has been proven that bisphosphanates actually cause bones to become brittle, not stronger," but you don't document that statement. On the other hand, the effectiveness of these drugs is well documented by the Surgeon General, the NOF and the ISCD.

You say that you would rather risk a fracture than a clot when referring to Evista. The warnings on Evista are for people who already have a history of blood clots.

As for horrendous side effects - Prednisone has horrendous side effects, Chemotherapy has horrendous side effects, Ritalin can have horrendous side effects, not to mention the absolutely horrendous side effects that can lead to death of the antidepressants. And yet, these drugs save lives - physically and emotionally.

Everything you put into your body has the potential for side effects - not necessarily for each person, but to be fair, potential side effects must stated. While you and I might enjoy a bowl of boiled shrimp in this hot weather, for those with seafood allergies, it could be fatal. To belittle those who choose to take a prescription drug because of a grievance against pharmaceutical companies is irresponsible.

We are very fortunate in this day and age to have the choice, as our ancestros did not, on how to treat illnesses and conditions. Because of this our lifespan has increased. My mother's brother died at age 5 from Lockjaw due to an infection from a splinter. Now we have Tetanus shots. We've come a long way in our ability to treat illness and I, personally, am thankful.

If you choose not to take an osteo or any other drug, that's your decision and no one should criticize you. I wish you great success because the goal is to prevent fractures. I would hope that you would extend that same courtesy to others who are dealing with their own issues.

dian1 replied to bonebabe's response:
finally here someone talking sense dont throw the babay away with the bath water i personally have experienced a lot of relief from drugs and have lost 15 kilos which has benefitted my arthritis also i am exercising regularly now and think it might be time i can come off them thanks for you advice

tdevol1954 replied to Tomato05's response:
So good to hear....I actually have bad osteoporosis..and I work out 1 hour a day 6 days a week, weights, walk run, gazelle etc...and feel good just saw a dr. yesterday and he pushed the fosamax drugs etc...I said no thank you...he said he could help me find another dr....has anyone ever figured out why the osteoclasts and osteoblasts just don't work right if you are doing everything else right...and how do they compare on the dexa a very tiny small boned person to that of a normal size young adult ....I would flunk no matter what so do we all actually no the degree in which we have it.....

OsteoMike replied to Tomato05's response:
Dear Tomato,
How long did you take Fosamax? I have a simular story. Now on Strontium Citrate.
Thanks!
Mike

rareavis replied to tdevol1954's response:
You don't mention your diet.
If your diet is weighted heavily and long term on the acid side ...your bones are being leeched of calcium by your body to maintain an acid/alkaline balance.
Check out your food.

MartaBergen responded:
Weightlifting is a known preventive for bone loss. I have gained bone mass by 1) eliminating pasteurized dairy products, specifically milk and ice cream, 2) avoiding soda pop completely, 3) limiting sugar and refined foods, and 4) cutting down on fruit juice and other sweet drinks, including natural ones. I don't exercise much, I must admit, but my bones got stronger anyway. I eat plenty of animal protein in the form of meat, fish, butter, and cheese. I should mention that I never had osteoporosis, but I did have bone loss in my mid-30's. I'm now menopausal, over 50, and my bones are stronger now than they were then!

Pasteurized, homogenized dairy has a different Ph from raw dairy (acid vs alkaline, fat-insoluble vs. fat-soluble, unhealthy vs. healthy) and therefore is a completely different product. Green vegetables are a good source of calcium, as are nuts. What you DON'T put in your body is just as important as what you DO, I have found.

I've read about bone-building meds and how they work. I suggest doing the same. It's pretty scary. Google osteoblasts and osteoclasts. You need BOTH to have healthy bones.

Jean2000 responded:
Judging by what I have witnessed by performing bone densities for the past 13 years, I would say that high impact exercises most definitely increases bone density. Of the more than 26,000 people that I have scanned, I would guess that close to 10% or 2,600 were, or had been avid tennis players. Of those 2,600 or so people, only about 20 people (less that 10%) had severely low scores of -2.5 or less. At least 80% or 16 of those people reported both parents having had osteoporosis. Not a scientific study by any means, just observation that became apparent very early in my career. As each one came up, which was sometimes a year in between, I would make mental note of how many it was.

revolver700 replied to Jean2000's response:
Hi , I was saying that I added a weighted vest to my walking as I love to walk but now since I have added a vest mine is by NYKNYC, I am getting very positive results.
I tried to read your comment but I am not that great at math so I am not sure what you are saying.
But I know that using this vest really worked for me .
they have studies on the benefit of using a vest and they
halted many of the patients osteoporosis in the study plus the women started building new bone . No drugs just a good diet and workouts with a vest! works for me.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website