Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ulna and radius fused together
shakeitbaby posted:
When I was born, I was not able to rotate my wrist from pronation/ supination position. My mother took me to a doctor where he did some x-rays only to discover that my ulna and radius bones were fused together. (and still are) This is something that I have been dealing with for 30 years now, even through studying ballet. but because of this strange fusion of my bones, I will never be a professional dancer once day. I have so many questions as to why this happened. I don't ever tell anyone because I think it's kind of weird. I obviously have made adaptations in the way that I recieve things in the palm of my hand, such as money and other objects that people are handing over to me. I'm just wandering if there is anyone else in the world that has the same thing? Is this a bone disorder? I've done so much research and can't fine anything like it anywhere. Except, of course, that cows and horses have a similar fusion in their ulna and radius. Wow, that does not make me feel any better!

shaatleasta responded:
I guess my first post didn't go thru. I just wanted to let you know that you were not the only one with that condition. My 11 year old son has the same thing. We call it a chicken bone after what the dr. at Children's Hospital explained to us. About 5 years ago we went in to find out why his arm would not rotate like normal. They explained the bones were fused together on the top and the bottom, like a chicken wing. They said there would be no reason to bother with it, unless it bothers him, with pain and such. We have not had any problems and he has been bowling for 7 years now with that arm. He's just adjusted in his own way. With other sports and such, he's either ambidextrous ? or figures out how to deal with it. He was just saying he wished he knew if anyone else was like him! Hope this helps.

dashwood responded:
Until recently and having read your blog,I thought that I was unique.My bones are fused at the elbow. My mum had x-rays whilst pregnant and they did not have the safety measures then.It is fantastic to find someone else like me.I can't clap my hands in front of me or over my head.It is painful carrying a suitcase.I can't catch very well and can't pick up a wide object.There are some intimate things that cause me difficulty.BUT I have lived with this all my life and of course you get to manage OK.I have had a few problems such as the bones clicking out of place but this is easily sorted though painful. Recently I have been getting problems though because I have acquired arthritis and I am a bit worried for the future.There is so much to say and so much to discuss.One thing I would say is do not be tempted to let a surgeon correct this because it would be an experiment which could go badly wrong.

tim1artist responded:
I'm 48 and my both of my arm are fused at the bottom of the radial uno near the hand. Palms down which is good for me as I work at a computer all day. Most of my movement come from my shoulders. One of my five kids also has this problem, Like me he has adjusted to the problem. No pains but getting change from someone can feel a little strange. except for that most people don't know unless I tell them.

Fosterjamesw responded:
Well at least I am not the only one in this world with this problem I was born the same way and have been dealing with it all my life. I am now 24 and also found other alternatives to do things. Baseball was always hard getting ground balls the coach never understood why I couldn't turn my glove around to get the ball like everyone else.. lol It was very aggravating. Bowling was anther problem and friends always made fun of me by asking me to play hot hands. But hey It don't bother me anymore the only problem I have and hate is receiving change threw a drive threw window I absolutely hate it. I always end up dropping my change and feeling like a complete tard. lol But just wanted you to know your not alone. I dont see or hear of to many people with this problem either. have a good one..

Fosterjamesw responded:
Also I have it in both arms.... Do you have it in both or just one?

LifeInTechnicolor responded:
I am 18 years old and have the same condition as you. I have always wondered what the name of this was called. It affects my right arm, so I have had the same problems with being a "beautiful ballerina" and catching ground balls. My Mom was forced to take me to get x-rays after my first grade gym teacher questioned my ability to throw a bean bag correctly. My favorite reaction is when my friends see me bowling with my left hand, since they know I am a righty. Like you, I have been trying to research this topic and have found absolutely nothing. I am glad that I am not the only one in this situation now

Rafikinhos responded:
Hello, You and I have the exact same fused bones. I was also born this way and my mother took me to the doctor and was told the exact same thing. They also said when I reached the age of 12 it could be operated on but there was no guarantee my arm will grow with the rest of my body, so with that my parents said they will leave it alone.

I never thought I was weird in anyway...I guess because my mother told me God made me more special than anyone else and with that thought I carry it with me and believe it to be quite true. It's my right arm which is this way and I have been told I have a beautiful penmanship. I also knit and crochet quite well and do everything anyone else can do, but accept money in the palm of my hand. My arm is just as strong as the other and unless I point it out... nobody knows. I always thought I was the only one born this way after reading your posted message, I can still say I am special because there is someone else to share this special gift. What a blessing this is to me and I thank you so much for sharing.

ikednhm responded:
Hi, I am 9 years old. Like most of you people here at this site I have the radius and ulna fused together in my left arm. And in my right arm my radius is bowed. My parents first found out when I was 3, painting a picture in preschool. I too, have problems playing baseball and receiving change from people. I am relived to have found this site to see that there are other people like me.

Isaac Dunham, Holmen, WI

jeza8888 responded:
have the same but in both arms,i`ve adapted my right had due to wear and tear,but still drop change,,i`m now suffering with my left hand with numbness due to nerve in a different place to normal people,,i`m in uk

myamore responded:
I am 27 and was also born with whatever this is called!! I often forget I have the problem until I need to get change through the window at maccas, or a boy tries to hold my right hand!

I just assumed I was probably the only one out there with this issue however it looks like it's quite common! No one notices (even life long friends) until I tell them, then they don't believe me and continually try to turn my hand over! (I have no pain whatsoever unless I'm trying to carry a tv or something heavy but the pain is from bending my arm weird ways!

The only reason i typed in 'fused bones' was to see if there is anyway to operate & if anypne else has had an operation similat. I cant believe the amount of people on here with the same issue!

My mum was going to operate when i was younger however the Dr. said i was more likely to have arthritis if she did so left it. It's never cause me issues except for now when i have started dancing classes and i cant do most of the hand moves. Wouldnt be such a problem if the instructors didnt pick you out to advise you're doing it wrong everytime!

Has anyone had this operated on?? I'd love to hear some sucess stories! and bad ones if they are out there. I also wonder if it's a bit of a drastic step just for the sake of dancing, and other minor reasons.

Also, does anyone else have the same issue with the 'special' arm being shorter than your normal arm?? when I put my elbows together on a bench my right arm is a good 2 to 2.5 cms shorter from elbow to wrist!

backhandlob responded:
Hi there,

I too have ulna-radius fusion. I was born with this and the doctors told my parents to wait to operate until my bones stopped growing. I am now 41 and have never had the operation. It is my right hand that is affected. My bowling game is awful. I am an avid tennis player and I feel that my forehand is not very strong because of the fusion. I also don't have as much strength in my right arm. Therefore, my backhand is a much better shot.

I am trying to find ways to build strength in my right arm, despite the fusion, and also to prevent arthritis.

It is exciting for me to find that there are others out there with this issue. As other posts have mentioned, I too have trouble accepting change and carrying heavy things with my right arm. My friends will sometimes forget that I have this concern. Other friends just don't know, as it's not something that comes up.

Would love to know if others have found good ways to build strength. For example, a traditional bicep curl is difficult to do, so I do hammer curls. Either way, I think my left arm is better developed.

peacefulheart responded:
I believe your condition is called Radioulnar Synostosis, a genetic disorder. You will find a description of why/how this happens at

www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1067/mainpageS1067P0.html

My five year old adopted grandaughter has this condition. I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

donnaglasper responded:
I have the same thing it is in my Left forearm. feel free to get intouch with me Donna.glasper@fsmail.net

donnaglasper responded:
hi was just wondering where in the uk u r and have you been to see any consultants at hospitals if so which ones? donna.glasper@fsmail.net

Helpful Tips

osteo
heard to take aleve it helps? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website