Skip to content
Forteo or Reclast ??
pgman posted:
I have really bad osteoporosis and am trying to decide what treatment to take. My doctor sent a couple books home with me, one for Forteo and one for Reclast. I am 73, have had both knees replaced and about a year after the last one I fell and broke my femer in 10 places. I have had lots of pain now ever since the first knee replacement. I need help deciding which one of these medications to take. I am leaning towards the Reclast since it is only once a year. I am very concerned about the side effects of both. Any opinion will be appreciated. Thank you

Sophiajean responded:
I also have really bad osteoporosis. I am also 73. I started taking Forteo in November 2007 and have completed the maximum time to be on Forteo as prescribed by the manufacturer, Eli Lilly, in November 2009. They say that this drug will not build bone after two years. The bone density test showed that my hip bones improved somewhat but my backbone did not show much improvement. I also have another friend that has the same results.

I will be asking my doctor about Reclast now that I am finished with Forteo.

Forteo is very expensive - about $800 per month. You will fall into the donut hole very quickly but Lilly has a customer service number that may be able to help you.

Forteo is a daily injection but the needle is only half an inch long - so it does not hurt.

Good luck and if you need more information, please reply.

lizj56 replied to Sophiajean's response:
You implied you were going to try the reclast.. did that help with your bone density?

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website