Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Finding an osteoporosis specialist
Susan Allison, RNC, BSN, MPA posted:
If you are at risk for osteoporosis or already have it, it's important that you have a healthcare provider who knows about the disease. While there is no one type of medical specialty dedicated to osteoporosis, many healthcare providers are qualified to diagnose and treat it. Some doctors who may have experience in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis include:

? Endocrinologists
? Rheumatologists
? Family physicians or general practitioners
? Internists
? Geriatricians
? Gynecologists
? Orthopedists
? Physiatrists

Some other health professionals who may be able to help people with low bone density or osteoporosis include:

? Nurses and nurse practitioners
? Physical therapists, physiatrists and occupational therapists
? Physician assistants
? Registered dietitians

If you need to see a specialist, your primary healthcare provider may be able to suggest one. If you don't have a primary healthcare provider or your healthcare provider can't help you, call your nearest university hospital or community hospital and ask for physician referral services or the department that cares for osteoporosis patients. This department varies from hospital to hospital. In some facilities, the department of endocrinology or metabolic bone disease treats osteoporosis patients, and in others it may be the department of rheumatology, orthopedics or gynecology. Some hospitals also have a separate osteoporosis program or women's health clinic that treats osteoporosis patients.

To help you locate a healthcare provider who diagnoses or treats osteoporosis, the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) has developed a Professional Partner's Network® (PPN) directory. While NOF cannot endorse any of the healthcare providers or healthcare organizations in the PPN directory, this may be a good place to start. To access the directory, visit and click on "Find a Doctor."
phototaker responded:
Hi...I have oseopenia, but my last bone density test showed
that I'm close to osteoporosis in one area of my body. Because of Beth, I've been taking Vitamin D and calcium every day. My gynocologist didn't tell me when I went off hormone replacement therapy nor did my general practitioner.
I asked for a bone density test the first time, AND when I asked for a 2nd one(which showed my bone density getting a little worse)two years later, I had to promise not to ask for another one. I'm in the "normal" range I was told by my doctor. I spend my own money and go see a specialist, to make sure my bones are doing better or staying the same? I'm retired now, and have really started exercising many more days a week. Two of the days is swim aerobics, which doesn't count, but I do walk (either going shopping) or doing photo trips with lots of walking, do Zumba for an hour two times a week(dance class), and go dancing at night two nights a week(ballroom, west coast swing, or country). I figure I'm getting in SOME exercise that's good for my bones. In swim aerobics, she does have us do our arms out of the water at the end of the class. One time we did weights with our arms out of the water.

Helpful Tips

Stretching and Swimming
low impact and have found to be the two best activities for overall fitness More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website