Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Please Help
    Janemarie55 posted:
    I haven't posted in awhile, but really need some advice. I am a 59 year young female who has been diagnosed with Osteopenia. I had a fractured T12 in November of 2009, and had a procedure called "Kyphoplasty" in January where they infuse a cement/glue into the vertebra. I'm having a Disco-gram this Tuesday because of problems in my L4, L/5, and may be having a fusion after that. My Neurosurgeon is wonderful and very good, but also "cautious" because of the T12 fracture and Osteopenia. My primary doctor wanted me to take an infusion called Reclast, but do you think Forteo injections might be a better way to go? Both are very expensive even with my insurance, but I have found a place that actually can help with the cost. Also, I am currently taking Evista. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I haven't worked in 5 months because of all this, and ever since I had the Kyphoplasty I have had the pain in the lower back.
    Susan Allison, RNC, BSN, MPA responded:
    While we are unable to recommend the best osteoporosis treatment for you, an osteoporosis specialist may be the best person to help you determine the right medication for your personal medical history and individual needs. A specialist can also make sure you have been evaluated for any underlying medical conditions that may be causing bone loss. I previously posted tips for finding a specialist here: @. I hope this is helpful to you.

    Helpful Tips

    Stretching and Swimming
    low impact and have found to be the two best activities for overall fitness More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website