Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
An Underlying Cause of Bone Loss
NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Susan Allison, RNC, BSN, MPA posted:
You may have celiac disease and not know it. Because celiac disease does not always cause noticeable symptoms, the condition is commonly missed.

People with celiac disease have trouble digesting foods with gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, rye and barley. People with celiac disease have problems absorbing nutrients, including calcium and vitamin D. This can lead to bone loss and osteoporosis. Some people have digestive symptoms such as diarrhea, abdominal pain and weight loss, while others do not notice any symptoms at all.

Ask your doctor if you should have a test for celiac disease. For most people, the disease can be successfully treated by following a gluten-free diet. By eliminating gluten from the diet, most people restore the ability to absorb important vitamins and minerals for bone health and overall health. In people with celiac disease, a gluten-free diet can help to reduce the risk of osteoporosis and broken bones.

phototaker responded:
Susan, this is very interesting. I have a friend who has to eat gluten free things. I didn't realize there was a test for this.

I'm 64, as of yesterday. I've had 3 bone density tests in the past years. Each time my bone density goes down. I'm past menopause by at least 6 years, am now diabetic(controlled by diet and exercise), lost 38 lbs.since diagnosis, take calcium and Vitamin D with meals, have worked out strongly for the past 1 1/2 years, doing weight bearing exercises, zumba class, regular dancing, and walking,(now retired and have more time), and am going to start weight training after seeing my last scores go down even more in my hip area. I also have spondlylosesis in my lower back and arthritis in my neck, IBS,and two heart conditions that are managed with medicines.

My question is this. I don't understand "why" I continue to have bone loss. Your article about celiac makes me question this, as I've always experienced problems, (thinking it was my IBS symptoms). I'm fortunate that I don't have major problems with that and can function normally, just bloaty stomach and pain sometimes, and other annoying things. What is the name of the test for celiac?

Because I have a flap that doesn't close right at the bottom of my esophagus, I chose not to go on Fosamax, when my first doctor suggested that during my first bone density test. I read up on it and just totally couldn't bring myself to take it, concerned it would come back up. Now I read that can cause cancer of the esophagus, so I'm glad I didn't do it. He sent me all kinds of literature to read on Fosamax. My new doctor says I still have oseopenia, but my femoral neck scores are very close to osteoporosis, and I'm told to just add on weight building exercises, which I will do. I did take weight training years back.

I honestly don't know what else I can do except take medicines that I feel will harm my body. I've heard that Fosamax, when taken for years can cause problems, too. Do you have any other suggestions to give me that have worked? I'm been studying a little about strontium. Have you found that to be helpful for people who might have problems with the other medicines? I know it's not FDA regulated here. Are there any other supplements that "might" help? Have patients that you've dealt with used anything else that seem to work?

LindaRaleigh responded:
I posted questions regarding Strontium Citrate, etc...could you please comment on that? I don't know if this is the correct way to write to you? It looks as though it has been 6 months since your last post?

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website