Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is it too late for calcium?
An_223970 posted:
I'm a 50 year old woman. My husband, who does have some background in nutrition, is telling me that it's too late for me to be concerned with my calcium intake. If I haven't been taking in enough calcium over the years then making sure I have it now isn't going to help. Is this true?

bonebabe responded:
No. Your body needs calcium for the heart, brain and muscles to do their job. If you don't put it into your body, your body will take it from your bones. Bone is living tissue and is constantly shedding old bone and building new bone. As we age, the shedding part becomes more efficient than the building part. That causes bone loss.

You need calcium every day of your life - as do your children, grandchildren, parents, siblings, etc. 1200 mg each day is the requirment. Get it in your diet and/or supplements. No more than 600 mg at a time can the body absorb. You also need 1000 IU of Vitamin D for maximum calcium absorption.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Jeri Nieves, PhD responded:
This is not true. While it's especially important to get enough calcium when you are young, it's never too late to make changes to protect your bones. This includes having a well-balanced diet that contains enough calcium, vitamin D and a variety of fruits and vegetables. To protect bone health, NOF recommends that adults age 50 and older get a total 1,200 mg of calcium every day from food and/or supplements. Adults age 50 and older also need 800-1,000 IUs of vitamin D. Adequate calcium intake is important to buiild bones in youth but will also help to minimize bone loss later in life.

dejavoodoo responded:
Besides calcium... you need to be concerned with PROTEIN. Once we hit 60, most people die from falls, or the hospitalization and disability associated with them.

But you don't just need calcium for strong bones... you need PROTEIN. As you get OLDER, you need more protein than when younger.... at least 30 grams with each meal and at least 3 meals a day... especially BREAKFAST.

Surprised by that? With over 90 peer reviewed articles, Dr. Donald K. Layman (Univ of Illinois - Shannon Award winner) is the leading researcher on protein metabolism and nutrition..

Here is Dr. Layman, talking about why protein is important to be HEALTHY...

http://bit.ly/dkL4Oq
(video and article)

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website