Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Calcium derived from algae
    petalhead posted:
    Hello--I have recently heard about Calcium derived from algae that has supposedly been shown by research to have higher absorption rates than Calcium carbonate or Calcium citrate. I'm wondering how well-designed and conclusive the studies were? Do you have any thoughts on this?
    Thanks!!!

Tomato05 responded:
    Thanks for asking this question. I don't know much about this calcium from algae supplement either, but I am curious to hear more.

I hope somebody will be able to give us some more info.

00Rocki responded:
    I take this supplement, the difference is (what I have been told) is that the two other calcium's are mineral and are derived from things like shell calcium or other heavy material there are two types of Red Algae Ocean and Fresh Water, I have a sensitivity to anything that has Iodine from salt water in it so, it was recommended to me to take the Fresh Water Red Algae the reason is because the fresh water Red Algae is farmed. The difference between the other two Calcium Citrate and Calcium Carbonate compared to Red Algae is that the calcium in Red Algae is a Bio Enzyme and not a hard mineral so that the body can readily absorb and use it. You can read about it at www.pubmed.gov there have been some noted side effects from the ocean Red Algae. I personally have noted when I take the Red Algae (Fresh water organic farmed) My skin becomes healthier I can not say it has helped my bone density as I am taking it as a preventative and not a treatment but I did heal quickly from broken ribs while taking it. I am not a dr. Just a person who researches things that I am taking or referred to take.

bonebabe replied to 00Rocki's response:
    My personal opinion is that this is a marketing ploy much like coral calcium was.

Calcium supplements that contain iodine are clearly labeled such as oyster shell calcium or shellfish calcium. We always advise our patients to avoid these.

Also with red algae calcium, there is no recommended dosage. You're basically shooting in the dark.

I'd look for a calcium supplement that has the USP marking on the bottle. This means that it's been inspected and approved by a government regulating agency.

Calcium is a mineral. There's no good or bad calcium. It's not broken down. Calcium carbonate - as in red algae calcium can cause intestinal issues such as gas, constipation, etc. Because it's more concentrated than calcium citrate, the dosage is smaller - usually only one pill twice a day.

Calcium citrate is recommended for people who already have constipation issues as it's less likely to affect that. The dosage for this is normally two pills twice a day.

You need calcium for things other than bone density. It regulates blood pressure, aids in wound healing, contraction of muscle - including the heart, stimulating nerve impulses and other things.

it's important to be getting the best calcium you can. We recommend getting as much as possible through foods and then supplementing the rest with a quality supplement.

Your body needs 1200 mg a day. Only 500-600 mg can be absorbed at a time, so spread out your calcium intake.

Vit D sends the calcium to the bones so make sure you're getting around 1000 IU a day.

Hope this helps you.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
    The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    24 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website