Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Forteo for premenopausal women
Pam19403 posted:
Is there any major concerns of taking Forteo if you are premenopausal? My doctor is recommending this medicastion for me. I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis right after my 47th birthday. I have been on Boniva for 4 years. I have had yearly BMD tests and showed improvement each year, until my most recent BMD. This showed a decrease, so the Dr is recommending that I start taking Forteo.

bonebabe responded:
Doctors don't usually prescribe medications or diagnosis premenopausal women. A diagnosis of severe osteoporosis is having a T-score of less than -2.5 with the presence of a nontraumatic fracture. Premenopausal women are given Z-scores. What's going on with you that you have this diagnosis and treatment? Which bone(s) have you broken as an adult? Are you on steroids?

Forteo is recommended for the most fragile of osteoporosis patients. I can't recall any of our patients being on it prior to menopause. Do you have an underlying medical condition that's causing your bones to thin? Are you on birth control?

To answer your question, the possibility of birth defects with the osteo meds is unknown. That's why they aren't usually recommended for permenopausal women.

Pam19403 replied to bonebabe's response:
In May, 2006 I was involved in a water slide accident that resulted in a broken collar bone and 4 broken ribs. The xray tech at the emergency room suggested that I get a bone density test. In July, 2006 I had my first bone density test and was told that my spinal t-score was -3.9 and that I had severe osteoporosis. At age 47 I was started on Boniva. Long story, but I ended up seeing an endroconologist, had many blood test, 24 hour urine and a back xray. The back xray indicated a T8 compression fracture.

I had som
e improvement with the Boniva, but this year when my T-score declined, my Dr ordered a thyroid test and 24 hour urine. At first they indicated they would probably have me take the birth control pill in addition to my Boniva. But then they tested my FSH and did another back Xray. The FSH test indicated 5 (mid-follicula), and the back xray indicated T9 compression deformity, T8 compression fracture, lesser compressions T5 - T7 and scoliosis of lower thoracic.

I think the decision for the Forteo was to preserve my spine. I appreciate your information on this regarding premenopause. I am not concerned about getting pregnant. My husband had a vastectomy several years ago.

bonebabe replied to Pam19403's response:
Take the Forteo.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website