Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Strontium Supplements vs. Strontium Ranelate
nandina posted:
The only active ingredient in the prescription drug strontium ranelate is strontium. Strontium ranelate also contains aspartame for sweetening, which most health conscious people try to limit or completely avoid ingesting.

A quality strontium supplement is every bit as good, and certainly the healthier of the two products. People, do your research. Prescription does not automatically mean better!

I learned about strontium supplements, and the success that was being seen with them in other countries, from my bone doctor, after researching the biphosphonates and concluding I would never take them. The potential side effects were downright scary, but worst of all the mechanism of action was totally illogical.

If you value your health, do your own research and stand by your convictioins. Sadly, too many medical workers are in the hip pocket of the pharmaceutical companies. The choice is yours.

Tomato05 responded:
I totally agree.

The main test for me was actually switching from biphosphonates to strontium, and seeing the results in real life. The fractures stopped happening, I am stronger and fitter and exercise a lot, lifting heavy weights. No side effects either.

My bone density has increased too, but I am not sure to what degree the strontium distorted the Dexa scan results.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Felicia Cosman, MD responded:
Strontium ranelate is a medication that is available in Europe for the treatment of osteoporosis. The ingredients in Strontium Ranelate differ from the ingredients in strontium supplements. These supplements are available in different amounts, forms and dosages, often in combination with other ingredients and compounds. There is no reliable research available at this time showing that strontium supplements reduce the risk of broken bones and are safe to take. Therefore these supplements are not recommended for the prevention or treatment of osteoporosis.

Unlike prescription and over-the-counter medications approved by the FDA, dietary supplements are not regulated for safety and effectiveness. Dietary supplements can also have side effects and may interact with other medications or supplements. That's why it's important to let your healthcare provider and pharmacist know about all of the medications and supplements you currently take or are thinking about taking.

llysa replied to Felicia Cosman, MD's response:
i believe that two studies: 2 major phase III studies SOTI and TROPOS, the latter included in the chochcrane report, were conducted and in the 3 years results, reported in 2004, strontium ranelate showed significant reduction in vertebral fractures with 41% and hip fractures with 36% compared with patients treated with placebo. it is called a DABA dual action bone agent because it prevents bone loss and encourages bone growth; bisphosphonates only prevents bone loss.

i was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2002 and took fosamax for 7 years until i began having digestive problems. my doctor here in london adviced me to stop fosamax for a year. after a year, she gave me strontium ranelate. i've been taking it for a month now. i did not experience any side effects. am still taking calcium, magnesium, boron, vit. k and vit. d supplements. in addition, to counter memory loss, i am taking folic acid and vit. b-12 supplements, too. don't know the effect yet, but will undergo dexa in a year's time.

nandina replied to Felicia Cosman, MD's response:

Regarding strontium ranelate, the ranelic acid is a synthetic molecule that was added to make the product patentable. (Strontium alone was not patentable as it is a natural substance.)
Other ingredients in strontium ranelate include aspartame, maltodextrin, and mannitol. These are all inactive ingredients.

Bottom line is that the key ingredient is the strontium. How
unfortunate people are ingesting unnecessary chemicals simply to put money in the pockets of pharmaceutical companies...

When it comes to strontium supplements, the typical recommended daily dosage is 680 mg, similar to the amount in the prescription form. As far as quality, to some degree you do get what you pay for with supplements. There are some excellent companies out there who put a lot of research into their products.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN replied to nandina's response:
For more information on this topic, please see Medscape's resource "Is Strontium Useful for Osteoporosis."

IreneMarijke replied to Tomato05's response:
I was for two years on alendronine (bisphosphonates) and I stopped taken it after reading the newsletter from Dr.Mercola.
But I thougt that it was dangerous to take strontium after you've taken biphosphonates??!!
Did you do this on your docter's advice?

JEJ627 responded:
I am reading these emails with much interest. I, too, have osteoporsis since 2002. And I can not take the drugs; nor do I want to....my experience has not been good; think my lung disease is connected to one of the drugs I took. . I am interested in the Strontium; but given negatives about it; is there any that does not containg aspartame? Does anybody know about Dr. Nan Fuchs work and supplements? She higly recommends the Strotium. Where is the best place to buy it, from her?? Her supplements seem very expensive to me. I would like to add another piece of help....www.bonesforlife.com, a movement intelligence program by Ruthy Alon. There are studies now proving the validity of her work. Please investigate for yourself. The Bones for Chairs suits me better; have trouble with floor work and coughing because of lung disease. I concure with the above with the above post.

Valorye replied to Felicia Cosman, MD's response:
I have many relatives who have used this medication and have actually reversed osteoporosis. Just be cause it has not been approved by the FDA does not mean it is not
effective. It would not make the pharmaceuticl companies any money but it isa very good .[product. Valorey

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website