My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pre-osteopenia
Cedarnme posted:
Here is what I'm wondering.
If we have our peak bone mass at around age 30, why don't 'they' do
a bone density test on us when we are 30...so we could later be
compared to Ourself.?

I recently had a bone density test that came out -2.5...borderline for osteoporosis. So I have osteopenia. My doctor only said it was worse than it was 2 years ago...I didn't know enough at the time to ask her what my T-score was 2 years ago. She said it's bad enough so that I should be taking medicine. She gave me 2 monthly samples of Actonel. Told me a little bit about it...said to read the paper...and then decide if I wanted to take it or not.
So I read the paper, looked up Actonel on the computer, couldn't find even one good thing about it...and I came up with Bonexcin instead...which has NO side effects. So that is what I'm doing now.
Taking Bonexcin and waiting 2 years for another bone scan to see how my T-score might or might not change.
I'm just thinking that if I'd have had a bone scan when I was 30, I might have had the chance to make it 'better' by now. I'm almost 56 right now...and too, there would have been a Personal Bone Scan number of my very own to compare me to Now.
So, that is my discussion question...why don't they scan us when we're 30?
Thanks.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN responded:
DXA machines were not commercially available until the mid-90s, so a bone density test on a central DXA machine could not have been performed 20 years ago. Also, due to the constant changes in DXA technology, it's unlikely that a test at age 30 would be comparable to a test performed 20 or more years later. There are other reasons why bone density testing is not recommended for most premenopausal women. For the majority of healthy women, bone density will remain pretty stable from the time of peak bone mass until menopause. Even if bone density is low to begin with, it usually is not a cause for concern until the menopausal years. For more information on this topic, please see Low Bone Density and Osteoporosis in Young Adult Women

During the early postmenopausal years bone density tends to drop quickly, which increases the risk of developing osteoporosis. For women who have risk factors for osteoporosis and fractures, this is a good time to start monitoring bone density. The bone density test can help a woman and her healthcare provider to decide whether treatment is necessary at that time.

All women should maintain healthy habits to protect health at every age, regardless of her bone density. This includes getting the recommended amounts of calcium, vitamin D, exercise and not smoking or drinking too much alcohol. Please also keep in mind that there are many "natural supplements" on the market right now claiming to treat osteoporosis and reduce the risk of broken bones. There are, however, no such supplements with the necessary research and regulation proving that these products are safe and that they actually reduce the risk of broken bones. Dietary supplements are not substitutes for FDA approved medications to reduce fracture risk. Make sure you discuss all supplements and medications you take with your pharmacist and healthcare provider to make sure they are safe.

Cedarnme replied to Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN's response:
Hello Dr. Randall,
Thank you for your reply. You're right...they couldn't have scanned me 20 years ago...nor could I know if this might be
hereditary or not since my mother died 14 years ago somehow already, and I don't believe she ever had a bone scan.

I know that Actonel and all the other FDA approved drugs have
been approved...but really...every single thing I read about any of them sounded just horrible; all the side effects didn't seem to outweigh the 'benefits' of any of them. So I did more looking, and first I came up with Osteosine...and then found Bonexcin, which was rated even better than the Osteosine...It sounded very 'boneifical'... for bone health.

I exercise all the time...summers I do landscaping things, ride my bike with my dog, and hike with my dog. This past fall I even picked apples, which no one From Here, ever does...only the Jamaicans will do it; and I didn't quit.It was 7 days a week, 60 hours a week, with no overtime for all the overtime. I was the only female, and the only one that was white. All the guys turned into my 'brother.' Picking apples is not as easy or simple as it sounds.
Winters I teach skiing, so I'm outside all the time, picking up adults and kids that tip over. When I get home I go X-country skiing with my dog.
It's not as if I'm not an active person...my bones should be getting lots of weight bearing activity. I wonder if you have ever heard of Osteosine...or Bonexcin. They both still cost enough to be good. We'll see I guess.
So, once again...thank you for your reply.
Peace...

lisaaa replied to Cedarnme's response:
Hello Cedarnme,

Just read your post on taking supplements instead of prescriptions. Since it has been 2 years since taking them, how are your results. I'm thinking of trying your method instead of the Boniva route. Please update your numbers.

Thanking you in advance.

Milaine replied to Cedarnme's response:
Hi Cedarnme,
I'm also wondering, why you haven't post your current test score, so the rest of the viewers can compare. There are many of us woman who would prefer to take natural vitamins to take care of Osteosporosis instead of the drugs FDA has for us.
Thank-you

carterthird replied to Milaine's response:
My mother has been taking the OsteoSine product for roughly the past 15 months. It's not a prescription drug, it's a dietary supplement. I don't really believe in that "all natural" stuff but my mother swears by it. Her bone loss has slowed to a crawl, which I think can be attributed to her higher calcium intake and low impact exercise the family does together.

RockTigress replied to carterthird's response:
I actually learned about that OsteoSine product from a post over on Health Boards and tried it with my mom. It's been about 7 months now. She made the switch over from Fosamax after it started to give her heartburn. Since she's started OsteoSine, her bone density loss seems to have slowed like your results, so it could be a contributing factor. The best part has been that she, at least, hasn't had to deal with hearburn with OsteoSine.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website