Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
what does this done scan mean? Help
gatorfan1968 posted:
Hello, my daughter has been having lots of pain in her low back. The Dr. thought it could be something with her kidney or a kidney stone. But when tests proove nothing is wrong with the urineary system the Dr. orders a bone density scan. We got the results today, and we are alittle confused. Her spine from L1 to L4 is normal in the bone scan. But scan indicated that her hip was not normal, and here is the scores: T-score of - 1.9 and a Z score of -1.9, the result: Bone mineral density of the hip is compatible with osteopenia. Is this osteoporosis? Or the onset? The reason this is strange to us is because, I thought this sort of thing hits in the older ages, my daughter just turned 20 last month. But osteoporosis runs on her dads side of the family & on mine as well, my mother has it. could someone shed some light on this matter for us? We will go in hopefully tommorow to get the Dr. advice. thanks so much.

bonebabe responded:
Your daughter's scores will be low because she hasn't reached her peak bone density. She will look at Z-scores because she is premenopausal. A Z-score of -2.0 or above (where your daughter is) is normal for her age. There are no diagnoses of osteopenia or osteoporosis given with Z-scores.

Look at the NOF website (www.nof.org ) for more information on Z-scores and T-scores as well as lots of other information you can use.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Adi Cohen, MD, MHS responded:
Since your daughter has not yet reached menopause, the Z-score, not
the T-score, should be used to assess her bone density. T-scores are
only used in postmenopausal women and men age 50 and older. A Z-score of
-2.0 or lower is considered below the expected norm for a premenopausal
woman's age. While your daughter's score is near -2.0, her score of -1.9
still falls into the category of normal (within expected range for age) for a premenopausal woman.
Diagnosing osteoporosis in premenopausal women is not straightforward
and can be quite complicated. The diagnosis would need to be based on other parts of a young woman's medical history, and not only on bone density. Because your daughter is so young, she may
not have reached her peak bone mass yet and still may experience
increases in bone density until around the age of 25. Some premenopausal
women have low bone density because their genes (family history) caused
them to have low peak bone mass. Other young women have an additional cause or condition that could lead to bone loss.
* Now is a good time to make sure your daughter is getting
enough calcium, vitamin D and exercise to protect her bones. Not smoking
or drinking too much alcohol is also important. You and your daughter
can also get more information from her doctor about any other tests or
follow-up that may be appropriate for her at this time and in the
future. For more information on this topic, please visit
http://www.nof.org/aboutosteoporosis/whatwomencando/youngadultwomen

Helpful Tips

Great product for arthritis pain sufferers
For two years, I was suffering with pain in my left arm. In addition, I grew a bone spur on my left foot. The doctor diagnosed me with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website