Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Control & Bone Loss
megmo84 posted:
A recent article reports that low-dose birth control may negatively impact bone health in young women. I've taken Yaz and Yasmin for several years to counter the estrogen-deficiency and amenorrhea caused by an eating disorder. Conflicting studies suggest that birth control helps, hurts, and has no effect on the bones of women.

Any insights from the community are much appreciated.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2010/jan/10012103

bonebabe responded:
I haven't seen this before and will bring it up with our medical director. I think we're going to need some more information on this particular study in particular and outcomes in general before advising women to go off the pill. It doesn't say how long the study was going on and that concerns me as these are women who are still building bone and too, bone is very slow to respond to change. They talk about bone loss, but you'd have to measure the bones of young women who may not have reached their peak mass and then two years later remeasure them to see if they've lost. I think that could be very conflicting and confusing.

We do know that the Depo shots are a risk factor for bone loss and advise women taking those shots to have regular DXA scans.

megmo84 replied to bonebabe's response:
Thanks for your feedback, Bonebabe. I searched for the original study to assess these variables without success. Perhaps the estrogen dosage (~15 mg I believe) was lower than what their bodies would've produced naturally. Also, these women were probably not amenorrheic as I am.

Looking forward to hearing from your medical director.

Helpful Tips

shoes
bought many kinds of shoes to help my feet and leg pain. I finally found that Merrell offered the kind of sole and insole that almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website