Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fish Oil and Evening Primrose Oil for Osteoporosis
Mary50000 posted:
Hi! I read on the WebMD page for fish oil that one of the "possibly effective" uses for fish oil in combination with evening primrose oil is for osteoporosis and I was wondering if anyone in this community could elaborate on that. Thanks!

P.S. I copied the section of the page as follows:
"Weak bones (osteoporosis). Taking fish oil alone or in combination with calcium and evening primrose oil seems to slow bone loss rate and increase bone density at the thigh bone (femur) and spine in elderly people with osteoporosis."

bonebabe responded:
I've not heard of this nor have any information on it, but will ask. I'm guessing the fish oil is good because of the Vit D. If you're taking a Vit D supplement or calcium with D, be sure you're not overdoing it if you take the fish oil. No more than 2000 IU/day without your doctor's OK.

megmo84 responded:
From what I've read, fish oil is touted for its anti-inflammatory effects. Perhaps this is responsible for improved bone health.

bonebabe replied to megmo84's response:
No, it's not that. I asked our medical director, who's an osteoporosis expert, and our hospital pharmacist about this. They both said the same thing. The study was done on two sets of mice (don't know how many) who'd had ovaries removed. They were given a combination of fish oil and soy. The results on these mice were that their bones mass didn't decrease as they would have if they hadn't had the supplements. The opinion here is that it's more to do with the soy isoflavones as they mimic estrogen than the fish oil.

Soy has been studied for its effects on bone health and the conclusion is that it does help maintain bone density if taken at the time of menopause - but....for only a few years, then the bone density starts to drop. It also interferes with some medications and shouldn't be taken without your doctor knowing and approving. Men especially need to watch it because it can cause breast enlargement.

Mary50000 replied to bonebabe's response:
Thanks -- any idea what role the Evening Primrose Oil plays in this?

bonebabe replied to Mary50000's response:
Nope.

merin1504 replied to Mary50000's response:
There was a study that had evening primrose and fish oil combined to relieve fibromyalgia pain, but there wasn't significant data to say that it did/did not make a big difference.

It is safe to mix the two without expecting side-effects. I would talk to your doctor or consult a naturopath before you mix the combination with any Western medicine you're taking as that might cause side effects.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website