Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Forteo and Belly Fat
bjhodg56 posted:
Ive been taking Forteo for 3 months...Ive noticed an increase in my belly fat since starting it...even though I watch what I eat and exercise everyday...has anyone else noticed this...

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear bjhidge56,

You can look up information about your medication in our Drugs and Treatments Library . I'd also suggest speaking to your doctor or pharmacist to see if this is a side effect of the medication, or being caused by something else.

Yours in health,

Byroney

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN responded:
Dear bjhidge56,

We're not aware of this possible side effect from taking Forteo. I checked the drug's prescription insert, which includes a comprehensive list of side effects that were reported in the clinical studies, and I didn't see any reports of increased belly fat, weight gain, adiposity, etc. You should discuss your concerns with your healthcare provider. Your pharmacist is another excellent resource for any questions related to your medications.

lifewatchgroup replied to Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN's response:
the news on nitroglycerin is worse than a bomb to kill people.

I can't believe the latest news on how to treat osteoporosis. Why should I tell you about it?
a) They recommend rubbing nitroglycerin on the skin to treat osteoporosis.
b) they claim that in order of nitro to impact the bones, one must eat 100 gm of protein or more daily
1. nitroglycerin causes damage on the mitochondria, which is most dangerous. ( see below)
2. it can harm diabetics
3.it produces nitrous oxide when it breaks down
nitrous oxide causes 300 times more global warming than C02, so if this therapy becomes popular, we are going to precipitate a global catastrophe.
3. C. Campbell in THE CHINA STUDY found that eating more than 10-15 gm of protein daily, cancer incidence increases in direct proportion to protein ingestion.
4. the more chicken, fish, meat we eat, to get the 100 gms of protein to avoid osteoporosis, the more land is destroyed to grow farm animals.
5. agribusiness causes 50% global warming as is, imagine how much more if we start doubling or more our meat consumption
6. animal protein causes cardiovascular disease, cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, etc etc. In the USA alone, over $200 billion a year in health costs are spent due to damage from animal protein to human health.
7. animal protein causes acidity in the blood, and C02 causes acid rain and global warming. Acidity in our blood leaches calcium form our bones, acidity in the water kills forests, and denudes corals of its calcium ( which is really osteoporosis of the reefs) destroying wildlife in millions of miles of shores. Corals in their reefs, produce 75% of Oxygen , and without oxygen is hard to breath.
8. Nitroglycerin can damage mitochondria if used in a long term. Mitochondria are critically vital to our bodies.
9. Nitroglycerin is used for cardiac angina in severely arteriosclerotic patients. If they changed their diet ( like BIll CLinton) their vessels will improve, not needing nitroglycerine and would not die of heart attacks and strokes.
10. The moral of the story: if you love your heart, love the planet, love your kids, and want to give them a planet to inherit form us, change your diet.
Watch this 3 min video clip.
http://www.forksoverknives.com/

So much for today's medical news. Other that that, how was your day?

Gaby
Possible mitochondrial damage with chronic use of Nitroglycerin for chest pain
http://www.xagena.it/news/medicinenews_net_news/cfd382c5eb817d52c7faf45a96f20b81.html

bonebabe replied to lifewatchgroup's response:
If the right thing to do (according to the study de jour) were easy, everybody would be doing the right thing and healthy people would be in the hospitals dying from nothing. But in the meantime, we deal with what we have.

Amalina52 responded:
Yes, I too am starting my third month and have gotten a lot larger in my abdomen . I too watch what I eat but it doesn't matter. I had a tummy tuck 15 years ago and know this isn't normal for me. I keep counting the months when I no longer have to take this shot. I had broken my femur on the other drugs so the osteoporosis doc put me on this for two years. I am hoping then my stomach will go back to normal like it was before I started Forteo.

mason2404 responded:
Yes I just posted on this a few minutes ago. I certainly have more belly fat and a few extra pounds to go with it. I started noticing about three months and now am at six and sorry to say it is still with me. Do we think it is forever??? Ugh, zipping my pants is a challenge some days and getting a bigger size is not in my vocabulary. Any thoughts?

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website