Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Osteo and activities
    angela659 posted:
    I'm about to begin Forteo in another week after an awareness course by a nurse.

My concern is do I need to stop activities such as ice skating, snow tubing, water slides, etc.

bonebabe responded:
    If your bone density is fragile enough that you're taking Forteo, you shouldn't be doing any type of activity that would increase your risk of falls and/or fracture. That includes any movement that necessitate bending forward at the waist or side to side twisting of the spine. I would certainly find some alternative to ice skating and snow tubing as the risk for collision or falls is great. Once you have a fracture, there's no do-over.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
    Karen Kemmis, PT, DPT, MS responded:
    If your physician has prescribed Forteo, I would assume you have osteoporosis. It is always best to avoid activities that can increase the risk of a fracture. Since many fractures occur from a fall, it is best to avoid activities that do increase the risk of a fall (ice skating). Also, a hard jarring (snow tubing and water slides) could potentially cause a vertebral (spine) fracture, so these activities should also be avoided. It is best to discuss specifics for any vigorous or high risk activities with your physician since the two of you would best know your general health status and bone-specific health. It is good to remain as active as possible with low bone mass and osteoporosis, so do try to maintain all safe activities.

Helpful Tips

Stretching and Swimming
    low impact and have found to be the two best activities for overall fitness More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website