Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Osteo and activities
angela659 posted:
I'm about to begin Forteo in another week after an awareness course by a nurse.

My concern is do I need to stop activities such as ice skating, snow tubing, water slides, etc.

bonebabe responded:
If your bone density is fragile enough that you're taking Forteo, you shouldn't be doing any type of activity that would increase your risk of falls and/or fracture. That includes any movement that necessitate bending forward at the waist or side to side twisting of the spine. I would certainly find some alternative to ice skating and snow tubing as the risk for collision or falls is great. Once you have a fracture, there's no do-over.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Karen Kemmis, PT, DPT, MS responded:
If your physician has prescribed Forteo, I would assume you have osteoporosis. It is always best to avoid activities that can increase the risk of a fracture. Since many fractures occur from a fall, it is best to avoid activities that do increase the risk of a fall (ice skating). Also, a hard jarring (snow tubing and water slides) could potentially cause a vertebral (spine) fracture, so these activities should also be avoided. It is best to discuss specifics for any vigorous or high risk activities with your physician since the two of you would best know your general health status and bone-specific health. It is good to remain as active as possible with low bone mass and osteoporosis, so do try to maintain all safe activities.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website