Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    need help !
    An_224016 posted:
    Hi, my name is yolancer but please call me Tracy. I just find out that have osteoporosis and inflammation and I'm on ten medication and I can't afford my meds for my illness what should I do?
    bonebabe responded:
    Contact the drug company of the meds your doctor has prescribed. Often they have programs to help people who can't afford it. Fosamax is also now generic and costs $4 a month.
    Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Dear Tracy (Anon_146325),

    I am sorry to hear about your illness and the cost of your medications. In addition to Bonebabe's good suggestions, you may want to check out this post about Affording Your Prescriptions as it offers some additional possible resources.

    Best wishes,

    Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN responded:
    If you need assistance for paying for your osteoporosis medicine, here are some resources that may be able to help you:

    The Patient Advocate Foundation
    Visit or call (866) 512-3861

    Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA)
    Visit or call (888) 477-2669


    In addition, if you haven't contacted the drug company that manufacturers your medication, they may also be able to help. Here is contact information for the drug manufacturer patient assistance programs:

    (800) 521-8813 Actonel, Warner Chilcott

    (888) 587-9438 Boniva, Genentech

    (800) 545-6962 Evista, Eli Lilly

    (877) 214-3475 Forteo, Eli Lilly

    (800) 245-5356 Miacalcin, Novartis

    (877) 776-5421 Prolia, Amgen

    (800) 245-5356 Reclast, Novartis

    *Merck no longer offers financial assistance for Fosamax due to the availability of generic versions. Upsher-Smith also does not offer financial assistance for Fortical.
    porterentps responded:
    Hi Tracy,
    You might want to try a prescription discount card. It will help lower your costs if your meds are not on the $4. or $10. list. you can get a free card at: . It has helped me after I lost my insurance due to job loss. God Bless.

    Helpful Tips

    Good luck... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website