Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bone fragments...
An_224017 posted:
Ok, this isn't REALLY related to osteporosis at all, but it's the only forum that comes even remotely close to 'bone health' so here I am.
About 5 years ago I fell and broke my right ankle, when I went to the ER for x-rays (which 3 doctors looked at - the ER doc, a radiologist, and an orthopaedist) they all concluded that my ankle was not actually broken. However, they did find a loose fragment of bone on the top of my foot that was apparently from a previous fracture that I never knew about. They suggested I have surgery to remove that fragment of bone... A week later I went to my GP to have my ankle looked at again because I was still in excruciating pain. He said that my ankle was indeed broken and should be put in a cast, etc. BUT he said there was no need to worry about that bone fragment in the top of my foot. Now years later I am realizing that I have pain in that foot almost all the time. Nothing major or anything, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with that loose piece of bone... that it could be moving around in the foot and causing the pain.... anyone have any thoughts? I know the obvious answer is to have my foot x-rayed again, but I'm currently uninsured so that isn't really an option at the moment.

bonebabe responded:
Hmm.... how old were you when you fell? It's possible the problem is indeed from osteoporosis (an ankle fracture from a standing position is a red flag) and you're having or have had another fracture.

I doubt you have a loose piece of bone "floating" around. I'm not a doctor, but my mother had a similar feeling after having pins put in her ankle. Thought something was loose. She was told that after a certain amount of time, scar tissue forms around the screw or "loose" object and keeps it in place. Not saying it wouldn't hurt, but probably isn't a free moving object.

Just as a matter of opinion, I'd listen to the ortho and radiologist rather than the GP.

nucmed1986 replied to bonebabe's response:
I was probably around 20 when I fell (25 now) and we kind of assumed the previous fracture happened when I was waiting tables (16-20 years old) and I just thought my foot was hurting from being on my feet 10 hours a day. At any rate - my GP said the same thing about the scar tissue holding that piece of bone in place. But can't help but remember in the back of my head that the radiologist and ortho both said I should have it taken out. I guess we will see the final outcome in May when I get health insurance again and can get it checked out!

thanks for the reply! :)

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website