Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Do you have to take Calcuim while taking Boniva
nochick posted:
Ok. So I sayed a prayer and took the Boniva. It wasn't so bad. Just a liitle fizzing sensation after I took it, then some belching (kinda like an alka-sekltzer) Question, I am only on 50,000 IU of Vit D. I asked my doctor about taking calcium also because everything I have read says I need both. My doctor says I don't need the calcium because there is no proof that it helps. He has really confused me.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Susan Allison, RNC, BSN, MPA responded:
Dear nochick,

According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, adults age 50 and older need 1,200 mg of calcium from all sources (foods supplements) every day. Adults under 50 need 1,000 mg of calcium from all sources every day.

In order for your osteoporosis medication to work, it is extremely important to get enough calcium every day. If you
don't get enough calcium from the foods you eat, you can make up the difference by taking a calcium supplement. On
the other hand, getting too much calcium from supplements is not beneficial and may even be harmful. That why it's important to estimate your dietary intake and only supplement the amount you need.

NOF offers a calcium calculator handout that can help you estimate the calcium you get from foods and calculate the
amount of calcium you need from a supplement. You can request this handout by visiting the following link and typing "Calcium Calculator" in the box labeled "Question/Request."

NOF's Requestion Information Form: http://www.nof.org/request-information

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website