Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Compression fracture
    dedesutt123 posted:
    I recently found out that I have a compression fracture in my T8 of my spine. My insurance denied an MRI. I know that my vitamin D is low and I have been take a pill for that as well as Evista for my bones. I need to know what I can and cant do. I've been exercising the past 2 months and dont want to stop. I have pain, but I would say it is mostly about a 4. I take motrin faithfully and apply a heating pad. Please let me know if what I am doing is okay.
    Tomato05 responded:
    You don't mention calcium - are you taking a calcium supplement?

    And what type of exercise are you doing currently?
    Susan Allison, RNC, BSN, MPA responded:
    Dear dedesutt123,

    Only your healthcare provider can give you clearance to exercise following your fracture. In some cases, pain from spine fractures will continue for a while, even after the fracture heals. In addition to appropriate exercise, it is also extremely important to learn how to move safely throughout the day. This includes not flexing (rounding) your spine. Examples of movements to avoid include toe touches, abdominal crunches and sit-ups, because these exercises all cause you to flex your spine. You should also avoid twisting or bending at your torso (trunk) to an extreme. Examples of excessive twisting include a full golf swing or swinging a tennis racquet.

    NOF's brochure, "Protecting Your Fragile Spine" gives more examples of safe movement as well as helpful information about preventing and recovering from spine fractures. You can download this brochure by visiting

    The best way to learn safe and appropriate exercises for your individual needs is to work with a physical therapist or other rehabilitation specialist. You can ask your doctor if you can obtain a referral for physical therapy. Look for a therapist who has experience working with osteoporosis patients.

    Additional resources include:

    Protecting the spine from kyphosis:

    Posture exercises:

    Spine strengthening exercises:

    We hope this information is helpful to you.
    fjclark responded:
    I also had a compression fracture, (T5), then broke T6 through a fall. Found a surgeon who does kyphoplasty's. He performed the not-too-invasive procedure - pours cement-like material through a probe between the vertebrae. After recovery, my back feels stronger, and I'm being treated for the osteo- with daily injections of Forteo
    jmalork replied to fjclark's response:
    I fell on 4/7/13 and got a VCF on L1. I now have less than 50% of my anterior vertebral height and have trouble breathing and staying mobile for more than an hour. I am waiting for an MRI and anticipating pressing for kyphoplasty. Can you tell me anything that would support or help me. How long after the fracture did you have the procedure and how deteriorated was your T5? And how are you now from before?
    CCHPosteoporoticfracture responded:
    I think it is very important to have Bone denisty studies of lumbar spine and hips. (DXA). How long do you take Evista? If you take this over 5-7 years, you can discuss with doctors to change some medications such like Forteo. If you just start the Evista and tolerated, I think you can keep it because it is oral intake 1 tablet daily. Forteo is SQ injection daily for 24 moths only.
    MRI is for studying soft tissue ( spine nerve). If you are older than age 50, your insurance will cover the DXA because you have T8 compression fracture. Two years later DXA exam should be repeated it. It will monitor your bone density.
    To somethings you can change: weight bearing exercise. increase calcium and vitamin D. If you have vitamin D insufficiency or deficiency, you need to ask your doctor to treat it. Then repeat lab result for serum Vitamin 25(OH)D level.

    Helpful Tips

    Good luck... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website